• 05-19-2019
    sapva
    Massive downed trees with root plates
    Have three large downed trees on my local trail, all 2.5 - 3+ ft in diameter. Two with the root plates at 90 degrees, one at 60 degrees hung in the fork of another tree. Have no idea what to do with the hung tree, scares the crap out of me (maybe re-route the trail). The other two pretty sure I can remove, but I've never released a 20' root plate. Any tips or advice?
  • 05-20-2019
    Cotharyus
    Sawyer training. Tree work is dangerous. Training will give you the know how to deal with such things, and understand whether you want to mess with it or not.
  • 05-20-2019
    epic
    I think if I were you I'd just re-route.
  • 05-20-2019
    bsieb
    Or at least reroute until such time as you have the resources to deal with
    big trees.
  • 05-20-2019
    sapva
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    Or at least reroute until such time as you have the resources to deal with big trees.

    Yes, will probably re-route for now. It will take me at least a few weeks to get the two that are not hanging. May only get one if I don't figure out a way to release the biggest one lying 4' off the ground at the root ball. Not much time left before it will be too hot and humid to ride.
  • 05-20-2019
    sapva
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Sawyer training. Tree work is dangerous. Training will give you the know how to deal with such things, and understand whether you want to mess with it or not.

    Do have some training, and enough experience to know it's pretty risky. Think I'll try to find someone with more experience than me, if nothing else to confirm that I should just let it be.
  • 05-20-2019
    cjohnson
    I had a down 10" tree with a relatively small root ball, approx 2' across. I made my first cut approx 15' from the root, cut through, and the tree flipped upright. Where is still stands. I have a 15' tall stump.

    Scared the heck out of me.
  • 05-21-2019
    Cotharyus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sapva View Post
    Do have some training, and enough experience to know it's pretty risky. Think I'll try to find someone with more experience than me, if nothing else to confirm that I should just let it be.

    Kudos. This is exactly what I mean. Iíve attacked situations like this before. Sometimes a cut some distance from the root will allow the tree to stand back up, leaving you a stump. Other times it just lays there. Sometimes Iím lucky enough to have a mini-X handy to fix it. Other times, yes, rerouting is not just the fastest, but also the easiest, and the safest.