Mapping a city park - idea!!!- Mtbr.com
    Don't worry, be happy!

Mapping a city park - idea!!!

Our club ended up in a really cool arrangement for a mapping project, and I thought I'd share.

We have adopted a neglected city park, approximately 200 acres that is the domain of mountain bikers. The city is not real sure of property boundaries and we, as a club need to know them before we start our stunt park and trail projects.

Enter the local community college. They have a natural resource department that teaches surveying and GIS work. They need local projects that don't compete with commercial endeavors. I know the teacher, and we've worked out a plan where they will be doing mapping on this property for their spring time lab. They will be establishing corners and property line, plus mapping out the existing service road, old buildings, trails, rock outcrops, elevations and pre-existing guerilla built stunts. We'll get a full set of GIS layer type maps that we will share with the City. Plus the land is only 2 miles from the college, so they don't have to go far.
    All of this at no cost to us, and everyone benefits.

~formica

Hairy man
    That's just totally awsome. Nice work getting all the right people connected.
    We all get it in the end.

Members who have read this thread: 0