Mammoth Bike Park First in the Country to Allow E-Bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mammoth Bike Park First in the Country to Allow E-Bikes

Class 1 pedal assist e-bikes will be allowed in the Mammoth Bike Park
    https://electricbikeaction.com/mammo...allow-e-bikes/
    Shoot your TV, turn off your CPUís, get outside & start living!
    Banshee Paradox V3 / Soma Wolverine 3spd BD / Surly ECR

mtbr member
    Sadly...

"e-bikes will not be permitted on any trails on USFS land outside the bike park boundaries"
    Shoot your TV, turn off your CPUís, get outside & start living!
    Banshee Paradox V3 / Soma Wolverine 3spd BD / Surly ECR

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiptastic View Post
    Class 1 pedal assist e-bikes will be allowed in the Mammoth Bike Park
    https://electricbikeaction.com/mammo...allow-e-bikes/
    Sensible minds prevail. It's quite perplexing that eMTB's aren't allowed more broadly on trails in the USA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori View Post
    Sensible minds prevail. It's quite perplexing that eMTB's aren't allowed more broadly on trails in the USA.
    No its not perplexing at all. Sensible minds would keep them only in bike parks and off all multi use single track trails.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    No its not perplexing at all. Sensible minds would keep them only in bike parks and off all multi use single track trails.
    I should have qualified my comment . . . perplexing to an Aussie . . . here they share trails with other MTB riders. We don't seem to have the issue you guys have over there with access.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori View Post
    I should have qualified my comment . . . perplexing to an Aussie . . . here they share trails with other MTB riders. We don't seem to have the issue you guys have over there with access.
    That makes sense.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Heck ya... you need to haul ass because everything down there is deadly and/or wants to eat you!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Heck ya... you need to haul ass because everything down there is deadly and/or wants to eat you!!
    It's not so bad - I'll take the deadly snakes and spiders over the hungry black and grizzly bears

Frame Building Moderator
    All bike parks should be open to e-bikes. Good lord, it's directional/bike only and most riders are on a chairlift! How could you conceivably cause a problem?

Good on Mammoth.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    All bike parks should be open to e-bikes. Good lord, it's directional/bike only and most riders are on a chairlift! How could you conceivably cause a problem?

Good on Mammoth.

-Walt
    How could you conceivably cause a problem?

This development will put all of the current uphill Strava KOMs in the park in jeopardy.
    The situation is dire.
    The threat is real.

mtbr member
    Good lord, it's directional
    I've come across a few of you good pedal assist people who don't have the sense to keep a directional trail just that...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    I've come across a few of you good pedal assist people who don't have the sense to keep a directional trail just that...
    And I have come across quite a few XC people and hikers that do the same. This is not a e-bike problem, it is just stupid people and they are everywhere. BTW I don't ride or even have an e-bike, but it is ridiculous to think that this is just a problem with battery powered bikes.

Moderator Moderator
    They started allowing ebikes at Purgatory bike park last summer, so I'm not sure this is accurate.....

mtbr member
    You canít have a second, third or fourth without a first. Nice to see the USFS recognize e bikes and grant them access. Thatís a really big deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    You canít have a second, third or fourth without a first. Nice to see the USFS recognize e bikes and grant them access. Thatís a really big deal.
    It is nice to see that USFS realizes they only belong in the park, not outside the park on the multi-use trails. Smart move

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So the need for an e bike on a lift served trail system is? I read, to access side trails or such? What am I missing here?

mtbr member
    It is nice to see that USFS realizes they only belong in the park, not outside the park on the multi-use trails. Smart move
    Allowing them anywhere on their land is an acknowledgement. Thatís the first step....... the next step is in the making.

inebriate savant
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    They started allowing ebikes at Purgatory bike park last summer, so I'm not sure this is accurate.....
    Mammoth was the first with a press release claiming they were. Don't let facts get in the way of publicity.

Also, who needs an ebike at a lift-assisted mountain?
    Work smarter AND harder.

csf
    mtbr member
    Lift access ticket was i think $56 for the day last year. Pedal pass $16. Plenty of nice xc single track there. Fun to ride off the mountain then hook up to on mountain trails then off. Hope fs will be open minded and review usage for the off mountain trails (non motorized). I am blown away by the vitriol at these class 1 ebikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csf View Post
    Lift access ticket was i think $56 for the day last year. Pedal pass $16. Plenty of nice xc single track there. Fun to ride off the mountain then hook up to on mountain trails then off. Hope fs will be open minded and review usage for the off mountain trails (non motorized). I am blown away by the vitriol at these class 1 ebikes.

Iím blown away by bitterness of class 1 bikes as well. But then again it is the internet. Iím sure a good portion of the bashers will be on an e bike at some point in their life.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Seems like a test case. If it is a lift served mountain, why would you want or need an e bike?

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Seems like a test case. If it is a lift served mountain, why would you want or need an e bike?
    Mammoth is an amazing place to ride and user can purchase a pedal pass as some of the lower half of the mountain has a few multi-directional trails and a one major uphill trail. So it might be attractive for an eBike user to do that.

Most of the mountain is directional trails. and they are clearly marked as such.

Mammoth is a perfect test case for something like this since you need a pass to go anywhere on the mountain and if someone with a pedal assist wanted to take the lift up and bomb the downhill trails, no problem. There is one climb in particular on the back side of the mountain that would be nice to have a motor to help with the high elevation climbs(thin air is no joke). Top of the mountain is over 11k feet above sea level.

Most of the downhill trails are too gnarly for someone to pedal up them, even with an eBike and anyone trying to do that is gonna cause major issues and get kicked out of the park.

Unlike the USFS, Mammoth mountain has a crew of people on the mountain to monitor things and make sure no one is causing issues.

While this is cool, it most certainly is not a test case for the USFS to consider changing policy about eBikes. Apples and Oranges comparison.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    While this is cool, it most certainly is not a test case for the USFS to consider changing policy about eBikes. Apples and Oranges comparison.
    Yup. The USFS allows ski area private leaseholders to do all sorts of things on their land that they don't elsewhere. Like build restaurants, shoot howitzers and drive snowcats whever they'd like.

I'm all for emtbs in bike parks, seems like a good fit to me. Even high powered ones if the the lessee wants to manage them. Emoto trails? Rent me one and sign me up.

mtbr member
    Mammoth is an amazing place to ride and user can purchase a pedal pass as some of the lower half of the mountain has a few multi-directional trails and a one major uphill trail. So it might be attractive for an eBike user to do that.

Most of the mountain is directional trails. and they are clearly marked as such.

Mammoth is a perfect test case for something like this since you need a pass to go anywhere on the mountain and if someone with a pedal assist wanted to take the lift up and bomb the downhill trails, no problem. There is one climb in particular on the back side of the mountain that would be nice to have a motor to help with the high elevation climbs(thin air is no joke). Top of the mountain is over 11k feet above sea level.

Most of the downhill trails are too gnarly for someone to pedal up them, even with an eBike and anyone trying to do that is gonna cause major issues and get kicked out of the park.

Unlike the USFS, Mammoth mountain has a crew of people on the mountain to monitor things and make sure no one is causing issues.

An e bike would be the perfect bike in mammoth. One could put together loops on uptown and downtown, shotgun right out of the village. Town loop up to sherman pass.
    Traverse the mountain to Tamarack Lodge/twin lakes. Just a rad place to ride and an e bike would give you the ability to really cover some ground and explore the mammoth mountain mammoth is.

mtbr member
    To make the ride from your car to lift easier. It can be hard on the knees.

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    Because of the ridiculous lift lines.

Not uncommon to wait 30-45 minutes just to get on the chair at a popular bike park on a busy day.

Plus some of the runs have easily session-able sections where you don't need to go top to bottom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    And I have come across quite a few XC people and hikers that do the same. This is not a e-bike problem, it is just stupid people and they are everywhere. BTW I don't ride or even have an e-bike, but it is ridiculous to think that this is just a problem with battery powered bikes.
    So... maybe you think that an enabling device ridden by clueless/new riders (yes, they will be popular with that crowd) will help the issue? Come on guy...I'm not anti ebike. I'm anti idiot riders. So far as I've seen, there's a good cross over.

csf
    mtbr member
    So the need for an e bike on a lift served trail system is? I read, to access side trails or such? What am I missing here?
    Why not? Just another fun way to enjoy the xc trails without paying for the lift. At least from my perspective. Plenty of xc trails to enjoy on mtn which dont need to pay for a lift ticket. I think others above have explained it well

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Don't know about other areas, but I've ridden MTB in 25+ areas of Orange County, CA over the past 30+ years (averaging four or five times a week) and have seen policing activity a couple of times. I would be willing to bet there are other parts of the country that are similar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fos'l View Post
    Don't know about other areas, but I've ridden MTB in 25+ areas of Orange County, CA over the past 30+ years (averaging four or five times a week) and have seen policing activity a couple of times. I would be willing to bet there are other parts of the country that are similar.
    So you are advocating poaching like bjorn is? Is that what we get with ebike mods?

So you are advocating poaching like bjorn is? Is that what we get with ebike mods?

I believe that fos'l is pointing out that there is in fact enforcement activity rather than advocating for poaching.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My statement was about enforcement and please note that I was riding MTB. In addition, it was on legal, posted trails. The only policing that I've heard of were a couple of "stings" on illegal trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn2Ride View Post
    We donít have issues here in the US, either. Donít let this forum fool you. There is no issue with access. Access control requires enforcement and/or people who care enough to police an area. That doesnít exist. Itís illegal to live and work in the US with proper documentation. Yet 11-15 million people do it every day. eMTBs are pretty low on the list of ďthreats to our way of lifeĒ to the people who matter.
    Depends where you are. Out in the wild west or crowded east like I am? CA has radar patrols and hands out speeding tickets, so there's that. HOH's will report, all the time. In MA we have enviro police as well.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheDood View Post
    Because of the ridiculous lift lines.

Not uncommon to wait 30-45 minutes just to get on the chair at a popular bike park on a busy day.

Plus some of the runs have easily session-able sections where you don't need to go top to bottom.
    I certainly would hope guys are not riding up and "downhill" directional trail to session sections..... that could be very dangerous on directional trails. I would hate to see someone causing a head on crash by riding up a directional trail in a bike park.

Why not? Just another fun way to enjoy the xc trails without paying for the lift. At least from my perspective. Plenty of xc trails to enjoy on mtn which dont need to pay for a lift ticket. I think others above have explained it well
    In Mammoth you still have to pay for a pass to ride the trails, they do check.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

csf
    mtbr member

In Mammoth you still have to pay for a pass to ride the trails, they do check.
    Yep pedal pass gets you access to trails but no lift access. You dont need to purchase a lift ticket to getaccess to the trails a pedal pass will do that for a lot less if so inclined

mtbr member
    Word is that Mammoth will be stepping up enforcement this summer. They will supposedly be checking more frequently for pass compliance on the mountain as well as making sure that their rental ebikes stay within the park boundaries.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 11053 View Post
    Word is that Mammoth will be stepping up enforcement this summer. They will supposedly be checking more frequently for pass compliance on the mountain as well as making sure that their rental ebikes stay within the park boundaries.
    Good to know. I have had friends in the past who shuttled themselves halfway up to the lodge and rode down "downtown" with their kids without buying passes. I wonder if that sort of thing was happening more and more to push them to do more enforcement.

Plus I guess with the proliferation of eBikes, it is now much easier for anyone to ride up trails like "uptown" and access the park without paying, so it does make sense.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Exactly, it's not like ski resorts are low impact uses.

I was at Mammoth last summer, got a trail access only pass, rode up and down the mountain, nice place though not my fav; only two hours from my house.

I prefer Park City

So Walt, when you gonna talk them Utah parks into opening the doors? It's not like they're all that busy...

Good on Mammoth.

-Walt

Frame Building Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    So Walt, when you gonna talk them Utah parks into opening the doors? It's not like they're all that busy...
    Canyons closed up this year (no big loss), so we're down to one bike park locally. I'm pretty sure DV won't allow e-bikes, because the bike park uses (IMO stupidly, it's dangerous when they need to take the patrol/rescue ATV up) the service roads to connect sections of DH trails. The whole park is effectively DH only (patrol will bust you hard if you try to ride up regardless of what bike you're on).

They could allow access to the lower mountain (just 2 seldom-ridden DH trails built in the 90s) which does have a 2-way XC trail all the way up. It's all private property so there is no USFS concern.

PCMR runs the Crescent lift for bike haul in the summer and it's also private land but it's not a "bike park" in the normal sense - just a bunch of XC trails that you *can* access from a chairlift. Popular with families and befuddled tourists (the trail network is a total maze/disaster). It's crowded enough in the summer that I can't imagine Vail resorts or Mountain Trails (nonprofit that maintains the system) wanting e-bikes or really *anything* added to the mix. I won't even ride there in peak season, you have to stop every 20 seconds for oncoming traffic or hikers.

I don't think PC is ever going to allow e-bikes, honestly. There is a very strong anti-motor sentiment here due to the combined influences of the various olympic facilities and athletes, the relative crowding of some popular trail systems (which is getting worse), and the passive recreation focus of the trail management agencies. The actions of a couple of people with DIY e-motos last year poisoned the well a bit, too.

-Walt

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    I was at Mammoth last summer, got a trail access only pass, rode up and down the mountain, nice place though not my fav; only two hours from my house.
    Where do you live? There is not much in a 2 hour drive from mammoth in any direction.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Exactly, it's not like ski resorts are low impact uses.

I prefer Park City

NB, don't know which direction you are from Mammoth, but you might consider White Mountain (elev 14,250), AFAIK the highest point in the US you can ride your bike. My wife and I were stymied about five years ago at 13,500'+ by about 8" of snow. Think the clock might have run out on another try.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    NB, don't know which direction you are from Mammoth, but you might consider White Mountain (elev 14,250), AFAIK the highest point in the US you can ride your bike. My wife and I were stymied about five years ago at 13,500'+ by about 8" of snow. Think the clock might have run out on another try.
    That ride is on my bucket list.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    A few people have hiked/ridden up Mt. Elbert (14,440 ft) in Colorado, and ridden down. It is quite crazy.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    A few people have hiked/ridden up Mt. Elbert (14,440 ft) in Colorado, and ridden down. It is quite crazy.
    Yeah, people are into bagging 14ers on mtbs now, it's evidently a thing. Thanks internet!

Ofc, I ride off of the one in my backyard numerous times each season, but at least I'm on trails and not ripping through the tundra.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I converted my SAnta Cruz Tall Boy LT to ebike with a Bafang conversion kit and will never go back. Riding a ebike is like, skiing a great run and at the bottom instead of jumping on the lift you can ski back up the run. The future is the ebike. Forget carbon anything, forget tubeless tires (thorn tubes a must) juicy brakes a must, big calipers, dropper seat. Fun fun fun

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Yeah, people are into bagging 14ers on mtbs now, it's evidently a thing. Thanks internet!

Ofc, I ride off of the one in my backyard numerous times each season, but at least I'm on trails and not ripping through the tundra.
    Guess White Mountain was eclipsed; I was not aware. Anyway, some years there's a small window between when the snow melts from the year before and it snows (that year). We were "snowed out" in mid-September.