Log rides on National Forest Land?- Mtbr.com
    I need skills
    Jul 2004

Log rides on National Forest Land?

I am wondering if anyone is aware of any log rides on National Forest land. If so, I would love have photos, and a copy of the MOU the FS has with the local trailbuilding group (or whatever the agreement is called).

I guess I would also like to know of any teeters and ladder structures too, but I am mainly interested in the log rides.

PM me if you need my email.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Corral Trail - Lake Tahoe

This trail was revamped for technical mountain biking and moto use by the Forest Service with the help of IMBA Trail Solutions and other partners. It includes manipulated natural technical trail features like log rides, boulders, armoring, berms, etc. Garrett Villanueva from the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit is the key contact. Send me an email [email protected] for the details.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    A few years back while on a trail clearing party, as we bucked some timber we shaved some pre-existing logs alongside the trail for the capability to ride. Probably not the same thing, but still i thought it should be suggested that using creativity and being advantageous get's results.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Please see:
    http://www.imba.com/tcc/2001/ashland.html

We have built some log rides here in NC and had them approved, but no formal agreement. We are working on such however.

Woody

I need skills
    Jul 2004

Skookem, that is exactly what I am referring too. Sculpting and shaving logs to ride.

I've been wondering if we need to get approval such things. The FS has been commented in the past on our use of natural features. I am thinking the log rides would be outside of many FS people's experience, so I'm looking for examples beforehand.
    thanks.
    Charlie

I need skills
    Jul 2004

woodman

Ashland NC, Ashland OR... confused me. Thank you, that link is great. The photo of the log ride will help the cause.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I got verbal approval and written approval for about 60 feet of log skinnies from two managing agencies. The area is the Shafer Butte Trail System 17 mi. north of Boise, Idaho. I have yet to install them, as I am a little burned out after all the trail building this year.

I was told not to build the skinnies over 18 inches and to firmly anchor them. The draft designs were discussed with both the agencies.

Al
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

I need skills
    Jul 2004

what are the two managing agencies?

FS? State? blm?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson
    Ashland NC, Ashland OR... confused me. Thank you, that link is great. The photo of the log ride will help the cause.

I don't know of an Ashland NC, we do have an Asheville however and most mtn bikers would have heard of that town.

Glad the link helped. Jim T. in one of the photos is a great guy and works for the FS, he has been pushing the big green in a direction of more approved technical riding for years.

Woody

Actually, more like 4-5 agencies/land managers. USFS; City of Boise, Idaho; Idaho Parks & Rec; Ridge to Rivers (a parternship of the previous 3); and Bogus Basin Ski Resort.

Occasionally, we deal with the BLM. The thing that helps with this is that there are 2-3 of us with backgrounds in environmental engineering, environmental law, grant writing, and NEPA.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    I got verbal approval and written approval for about 60 feet of log skinnies from two managing agencies. The area is the Shafer Butte Trail System 17 mi. north of Boise, Idaho. I have yet to install them, as I am a little burned out after all the trail building this year.

I was told not to build the skinnies over 18 inches and to firmly anchor them. The draft designs were discussed with both the agencies.

Al
    Over 18" off the ground?

Yep, it was what I proposed as a max height. I know it is not very high up, but something is better than nothing. I didn't want to push very hard for anything too progressive. My take on it is: "A little at at time..." Also, we have some riders who think a babyhead rock garden is too hard, and thus they "smooth" it out for us. (I really don't like that kinda help.)

Anyway. The fact that it was approved is a huge step for the riders in our community. We do have some skinnies that were 6-7 feet up off the ground and about 5-6 wide. They were built on private land (and approved by the landowner). I am also trying to get more trail armoring (a la CBC-style) in our area. Those requests are getting approved, but I am finding little support from the community in installing those trail features. My two friends and I end up building those types of features....which is cool...and in the end everyonge enjoys them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson
    I've been wondering if we need to get approval such things. The FS has been commented in the past on our use of natural features. I am thinking the log rides would be outside of many FS people's experience, so I'm looking for examples beforehand.
    thanks.
    Charlie
    i would recommend just talking to the ranger. i would suppose in order for them to endorse it, you would have to running a legitimate work party led with a crew leader with all the safety certifications for running a chainsaw. Probably not a bad idea anyways if you're not very experienced in bucking timber as it can be dangerous.
    In most circumstances i would say it just depends on who you talk to. Find out who would be the person with the final say and if you haven't done so, establish a relationship, and find out.
    Looks like i actually uploaded an image of it on our local club site...

https://www.bbtc.org/img/upload/img40205.jpg
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

not quite on topic

We've got some "natural features" in Soquel Demo forest near Santa Cruz, but it's state land, managed by CDF. Francois, who runs this site, had an unfortunate encounter with one last year.

There are some folks who volunteer at SDF that post over in the Norcal forum.

May 2007

Wow 18"

If you would have been in the meetings when we started the plans for this trail system 5 years ago everyone would see this as a huge step. Great job by Al

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    We have a few logs, some ramps, and one teeter that I know over here in the Deschutes National Forest (a couple hundred miles north of Ashland, OR). All of limited size and only that I can think of which is on the main line of trail (a couple wide ramps that take the trail over a maybe two foot high stump). Everything else is opt in for more advanced riders and those folks have to detour slightly to use it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by twest820
    We have a few logs, some ramps, and one teeter that I know over here in the Deschutes National Forest (a couple hundred miles north of Ashland, OR). All of limited size and only that I can think of which is on the main line of trail (a couple wide ramps that take the trail over a maybe two foot high stump). Everything else is opt in for more advanced riders and those folks have to detour slightly to use it.
    You've made an interesting point here, and that is the optional line. I'd mentioned the Soquel Demonstration forest, which is managed by the California Department of Forestry (CDF). There's one trail in particular, Braille, that has features, and every one of them has a ride around option. Not braids, but simply two defined lines.

Aside from allowing someone to advance in ability on the trail, it allows for mixed abilities, allows search and rescue to ride a motorcycle up the trail, bring a quad with a litter down it, and even allows for equestrian use.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    There are quite a few on Teton Pass, contact teton Freedom Riders or Linda Merigliano at the Bridger Teton FS for a draft of the MOU. At least two are over 6' off of the ground, one wih an 8' or so step down gap jump.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    There's one trail in particular, Braille, that has features, and every one of them has a ride around option. Not braids, but simply two defined lines.
    I found out a little bit more about our setup; the comentary's not online, but to summarize the local riding group and the forest service have worked out a definition for what does and doesn't constitute a technical trail feature (TTF). If it's not a TTF it can go in the trail (whoop de doos, small tables, small downed trees with ramps, etc.). If it's a TTF (log rides, teeter totters, some drops) it has to go off the main line of the trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0