Latest machinery- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Latest machinery

https://picasaweb.google.com/mark29e...80779300974962

While I was bored and snowed in recently, created this new trail maintenance machine. Has a 7 horse engine to spin original horizontal line spool and I 'engineeered' the vertical assembly out of a bunch of parts from old hand held string trimmers. Took some welding and first class riggin to get the power connection together. Concept is to use this on existing trails to clean back new growth. Just walk it down the trail. Runs well and the vertical line runs smooth and true. Horizontal line is a as needed. Takes a lot of power to turn those large dia cutting strings. You have to be well clothed due to the stuff being tossed. Initial test worked well. Here in NW Washington
    AS we get started on a new system out here, I'll post videos of a trail macnine refered to as mr warf that you run down a roughed in route where it smooths the tread and mulches everything else. Kinda like a large stump grinder running in a horizontal plain.
    -NN of the collective.
    Last edited by no nancies; 01-23-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Dig it!
    I could not get the link to work
    Should you do more trail work?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    FIxed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That thing looks evil. Don't think OSHA would approve as is. Well clothed?!? Chain mail at a bare minimum. Can't wait to see it in action.

saddlemeat
    Hell of a looking machine, nice fab job!
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Get rid of the string and put some chain on there. Maybe some worn out saw chain. If you're going to go down... go down in flames. Guards might be a good idea;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Ram man, you know we have similar crazy train concepts. I was considering this set up with a hedge trimmer bar, but the power linkage would be tough. And those small high speed universal joints are stupid expensive. This set up is robust and the string is cheap. AMazingly, with the top of the spool, vertical one, spinning away from the operator and turned in a few degrees, you don't take it too bad with the impacts. Cutting helmet and glasses naturally. Yea, I considered the OSHA as a joke with this thing. The trail 'grinders' and much more interesting with throwing stuff.

saddlemeat
    No nancies bad boy weed wacker... the grinder sounds interesting!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Latest machinery-img_0017.jpg  

I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    With power to much is never enough. I wish I had your time. I have been working on a chain flail design for my big BCS machine or one of the Gravelys. I like the regular flail but the rocks are still hell on the little blades. The best part is there's no need to rake the tread of debris. The flail leaves nothing but a fine mulch. The chain flail should sweep as it pulverizes. You will not want to be anywhere near the front of this thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Funny. But, is not the fun in seeing stuff get tossed way out there. With version 2, I forced it down on a rotten log and I see a 2' chuck spinning out in front of it for no **** 50'. I was proud.
    #3 keeps most everything under the deck so it munches better. Has truck mud flap shielding along the sides scraping the ground, which is good. Good thing that thing is way robust due to the 100 lbs of rotating mass under the deck. You have to have an exclusion zone around stuff like this.
    Very Binford.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    When the snow melts you'll have to bring it down to the Forest so I can see it in action.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would love to see that thing in action.
    Do you still use your lawn mower with the bolt attached to the blade?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    We run both the original mower blade and disc as needed on these things. They are brush mowers, originally, prior to 'improvements'.
    The mower works well also on a lot of brush and the discs do the smoothing and mulching. In the video we ran down the trail twice, usual procedure, and any of the remaining brush is mulched sufficiently.
    When we get going on a new project out here, the bigger machine will be used mainly which has the same disc width, but a lot more rotational mass so you can grind closer. That one is also self propelled cuz it weighs 500lb or so. Small ones are great due to two guys can move it around easy as you use those on more twisty stuff.