Las Vegas Cottonwood Valley Closure Deal- Mtbr.com
    desert dweller

Las Vegas Cottonwood Valley Closure Deal

The BLM deal for Cottonwood.

After the fire on Mt. Potosi and Cottonwood this past June the BLM is preparing for a major re-seeding project. Normally during a project like this the areas effected are closed for all users for a period of two to three years. That is not acceptable for local mountain bikers since that effectively closes 50% of our trails for that period of time. Right now the BLM is willing to allow mountain bikers to stay on the trails if we STAY ON THE TRAILS. New trail development anywhere near the burned area will basically constitute a breach in our agreement and the BLM will close nearly everything south of 160.

Patrick Putnam (head Recreation Planner for Red Rock NCA) would like to visit with us Saturday at our Epic ride in Blue Diamond and discuss this with as many people as he can. He may also call another meeting with local riders later if few people show up this weekend.

Patrick also would like to get several locals involved in the trail planning process for new trails in the Northern part of Red Rock Canyon NCA (think areas west and north of Summerlin connecting to Kyle Canyon).

I'll dig up more info as it becomes available.

matt

Large wheels & one gear
    I would hate to see Cottonwood closed. I am from Vegas now living in Phoenix. I loved the loop out there. Hopefully alot of you will show up for that meeting and make an impression.
    There are talks of a trail from the Summerlin area connecting to Kyle canyon? That would be sweet! Anyway, best of luck to ya. Hope BLM works with you guys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cool deal. I just rode those trails for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it definitely is a good thing that they will stay open.
    Konapdlr- sorry to hear that your move was in the wrong direction. I grew up in Phoenix, and Vegas is now my home. When you get tired of Phoenix, come back and we can hook up for a ride some time
    wzl

Members who have read this thread: 0