A ladder as a safety net for drops- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    258

    A ladder as a safety net for drops

    So I am a decent rider when it comes to trails, but suck at the gravity stuff. Well, suck may be the wrong term, its really just a lack of confidence. Anyways, I was thinking about building a line for some rock drops, say 3-5 feet to start, and want a ladder as a safety net that if I drop my front end I won't go OTB and can build up confidence to clear and then move on. So is there a good ratio of how far the ladder should extend in relation to the height to make a safe platform to land? I saw one in Breckenridge on B Line I think it was called, man that one was steep, A guy said you could roll it, but it was damn near straight down, I passed on the drop (but did the smaller, 2 footer, lol). BTW, how high was that drop, anyone know? I am thinking 5 foot?

  2. #2
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,923
    Forget a ratio of height to extension for a ladder. What you have to consider is if you do the drop properly how far can the ladder stick out before it interferes with the drop. You may want to start by just building a ladder feature you can adjust the angle on and practice with that until you are comfortable with it significantly steeper than you currently are. Then figure out how that works into your drops. Also, maybe start with a drop small enough you feel comfortable on it without a ladder, and build confidence on that, then work up. You might surprise yourself.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Forget a ratio of height to extension for a ladder. What you have to consider is if you do the drop properly how far can the ladder stick out before it interferes with the drop. You may want to start by just building a ladder feature you can adjust the angle on and practice with that until you are comfortable with it significantly steeper than you currently are. Then figure out how that works into your drops. Also, maybe start with a drop small enough you feel comfortable on it without a ladder, and build confidence on that, then work up. You might surprise yourself.
    Yeah, I kinda thought along the same lines as you. This is in the east, so its covered in mud, leaves, and roots, so the ladder is almost required until I get a good line cut in, and the part about it being in the way more than helping is exactly what I was hoping to avoid. I may build it to where its a ladder, then convert to a 2 foot landing....then a 3....then maybe 4. That may be as far as this 52 year old 225 pound man is comfortable on a Specialized Enduro!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by kendunn View Post
    Anyways, I was thinking about building a line for some rock drops, say 3-5 feet to start, and want a ladder as a safety net that if I drop my front end I won't go OTB and can build up confidence to clear and then move on.
    Its called a Drop-n-Slop and I have engineered plans for them. The up (and down) ramps are hinged in a such a way you don't have to super careful about measurements. Also the down ramp can be a full ramp down or moved up to drops of varying heights. PM with your email and hot TTF plans will come your way.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleKrieg View Post
    Its called a Drop-n-Slop and I have engineered plans for them. The up (and down) ramps are hinged in a such a way you don't have to super careful about measurements. Also the down ramp can be a full ramp down or moved up to drops of varying heights. PM with your email and hot TTF plans will come your way.
    Thanks a bunch...sent!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    258
    Here is an example of one of the rocks in question. Don't pay attention to the hardtail, not going to being riding it off there, just my explorer! https://app.box.com/s/qxw678vcki5kcnsu0bw0gw7y7xo3lxug

  7. #7
    Thinking about riding.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,169
    Best practice, IMO of course, would be to huck it (or have a friend if you aren't up to it yet) a few times and get an idea of where you typically land. Set the ladder so it ends just before where a short drop might land. That way it's out of the way for anyone hucking, but also mimics the feel (as best it can anyway) of the drop when rolled.

Similar Threads

  1. Would You Ride This Skinny/Ladder?
    By highdelll in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 08:55 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 05:47 AM
  3. Convert Hoizontal drops to Vertical Drops can it be done?
    By singlespeed1 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-02-2006, 10:49 AM
  4. ladder drops in OC
    By mntbikenbambam in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 11:37 AM

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.