Just need some resources- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Just need some resources

Ok there are a few trails in London, Ontario, Canada that have been closed to cycling for years.

Some are sensitive areas I will agree (swamps and a special bird area) which I do not contest at all. There are a few that are great areas that were banned due to elitist ideals. They run the course behind a very wealthy area and they had a petition years ago to get cyclists banned. There are several area such as this in the city limits.
    There was little fight since mountain biking was fairly new and there was no real response. There has though been a push to reopen these areas and the city is this year creating a cycling master plan and this would be perfect time to argue a case for several areas. The sensitive area are just blockaded so that riding in is a hastle. The areas that I think are needed to be reopened are done in the same fashion but to dissuade cyclists trees from the side of the trail are cut down accross the trail!! If you are arguing erosion problems I do not see this as a way to help.

I am looking for resources that I can use to argue to reopen the areas and how areas are classified to need protection from riding.
    I do not argue some areas should be protected but its less than half the banned areas. Blocking riders from some area just puts more pressure on the remaining ones and creates problems.

Thanks to anyone that helps.

Chris
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Have you contacted the local cycling club(s)?

Also IMBA has targeted Toronto as hot spot this year, and this might be something to mention to them to take up on the agenda.

And finally there isn't anything better than face time. Go out and ask the park officials why bikes are banned, and then use that information to go ahead and form a thorough and thoughtful response.

Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Members who have read this thread: 0