IMBA Summit- Mtbr.com

Thread: IMBA Summit

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

IMBA Summit

Who's going to the IMBA summit?

I'll be there (if I can find the loot) representing New York.

I went to the last one in Washinton DC and learned alot just by hanging out with all the other movers and shakers within the mountain biking advocacy community.

Highly reccommended!

Plus it's being held at Whistler...never been there.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Wish I could, but too much coin for this mid-westerner. Probably next time around.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Two or three of us may go from down here. We live in the SE and are building trails in South Carolina right now.

I haven't been to an IMBA summitt since the one in Texas a long time ago. It will be good to go again and really good to go to Whistler.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    I'll be there representing Texas with my brother, James, who is the webmaster for IMBA, as well as with Ryan Spates and Susan Stormer, Texas' own Trail Care Crew employed by the Texas Bicycle Coalition. I imagine Hill Abell will be there but not 100% sure; he's the president of IMBA, btw.

I missed last year's summit but made the one in MD. My favorite part of that one? Meeting and getting my picture taken with DH goddess Marla Streb.

Dewayne

mtbr member

Representing Durham Region, Canada

I'll be there as will two others from out brand new club. The Durham Mountain Bicycling Association.

We're so brand new we haven't even got any dirt on us. Our first group ride is coming up.

beer thief
    I'll be there, representing New Hampshire and www.NEMBA.org .

I went to Whistler two years ago. It rocks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Milwaukee WORBA Rep....

I'll be coming, along with my 14 year old son and one of his buds. Planning on flying out and staying a full week. There is supposed to be an official forum for the Summit, somewhere. anybody seen it?

Marty Weigel
    Metro Mountain Bikers, your Milwaukee WORBA Chapter

brakes; sometimes fixed
    Apr 2005

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by MartyW
    There is supposed to be an official forum for the Summit, somewhere. anybody seen it?
    Marty - It's not very well advertised and needs some posts, but you can find it here.

I will be present in Whistler and representing the state that is round on the ends and "hi" in the middle. Should be a good time.

Chris
    IMBA Ohio Rep

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffy
    Marty - It's not very well advertised and needs some posts, but you can find it here.
    I'd heard about the site. It is not very useful unless you are a NMBP member. What are the IMBA reps supposed to use? I guess we'll just keep using MTBR for now.
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurray
    I'd heard about the site. It is not very useful unless you are a NMBP member. What are the IMBA reps supposed to use? I guess we'll just keep using MTBR for now.
    IMBA used to maintain a forum of sorts for its reps, but no one used it. I think the cobs webs took it over, and it was abandoned.

Dewayne

mtbr member

Lookin' for roomies

I'll be heading up to the IMBA summit. I'm on the board of the Boulder Mountainbike Alliance (formerly the Boulder Off-road Alliance), and I'm director of the Boulder Mounatin Bike Patrol.

Unfortunately, I'm also a financially challenged graduate student. Hence my plea into the ether of the interweb. If you or anyone you know has the skinny on a place to stay or is interested in splitting modest accomodations, let me know. I'm also happy to camp if anyone knows whether those kinds of options exist. I don't need a bed, I don't need TV, but I'm certain I'll need a shower after a couple days in Whistler.

Send word if you can help or we can mutually help eachother.

J

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sick4surf
    Who's going to the IMBA summit?
    We've got a group going up from the Black Rock Mountain Bike Association (Blackrock Freeriders).... BRMBA. Representin' for the Black Rock trails near Falls City, Oregon.

So far it's Rich B ("el presidente"), myself, and a shop guy from Santiam Bicycle.

Looking forward to it. Kinda going to drive me nuts we're right THERE in Whistler, but being stuck in conferences all week! (we're going to thrash the trails pretty hard on Saturday after the conference tho'.. hopefully the weather's good!)

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I just applied for a scholorship to go, I hope to be representing Teton Valley Idaho, Teton Valley WY, Teton Valley trails and Pathways, and Grand Targhee ski resort. I am seeking additional funding through a variety of local businesses and services. D, we gotta ride! I too am seeking roomies or shower space.
    We have some incredible momentum in our area with trail news...I am hoping to develop up to 27 miles of new trail at the Grand Targhee resort, of all stripes...cross country, FR, DH, as well as trying to connect all of the new trail cohesively with the existing FS trail network. I also am hoping to start a liason position that will work full time with our local trail group, TVTAP, and the local FS trail rep. This is a really neat partnership, made possible through a generous grant from Grand Targhee. I believe it represents a new model of partnership with the FS, and I could really benefit from the IMBA summit in trying to shape the direction of this position. I also would really like to learn as much as I can from the management perspective of the Whistler resort in regards to Mt. Bike operations.
    I certainly hope that I can attend.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Joer---

Check the almanac...sunset in Whistler is 9:30 in mid-June. I'm planning on riding every evening after the meetings are over.

Marty

Jan 2004
    Hi all

It'll be roughly 25 hours of flying but I'm signed up to go representing South Africa at the Summit.
    Personally, I look forward to putting faces to names and seeing all the stuff we only get to read about ( and sort of had to develop in isolation) in action.
    I'm from the wine region Stellenbosch outside Cape Town and this will be my first trip to North America.
    From what I've heard and seen I'd best leave the rigid Chameleon singlespeed at home and hire a proper rig when I get there.
    The summit website mentions better rates for delegates but I haven't seen any details.
    Any suggestions?

Meurant Botha
    www.dirtopia.co.za
    discover the soul of mountainbiking

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ssafrica
    Hi all

It'll be roughly 25 hours of flying but I'm signed up to go representing South Africa at the Summit.
    Personally, I look forward to putting faces to names and seeing all the stuff we only get to read about ( and sort of had to develop in isolation) in action.
    I'm from the wine region Stellenbosch outside Cape Town and this will be my first trip to North America.
    From what I've heard and seen I'd best leave the rigid Chameleon singlespeed at home and hire a proper rig when I get there.
    The summit website mentions better rates for delegates but I haven't seen any details.
    Any suggestions?

Meurant Botha
    www.dirtopia.co.za
    discover the soul of mountainbiking
    Meurant,

You might try calling IMBA to ask them about it. I realize it's long distance and probably a 8 hour+ time difference.

The people I'm going with used www.rentalo.com to find a room for us. Six of us are sharing a place that sleeps six and has a hot tub. We're paing about $20 a night each. Good luck! I look forward to meeting you.

Dewayne Buratti
    Austin, Texas

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Just bought my tickets!! Who else is in for sure?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    I'm definitely in, and I'll be in Whistler the Sunday and Monday nights preceding the conference. Anyone else gonna be around looking for some epic riding Mon/Tue? Anyone looking to share sleeping accomodations for those nights? Email or PM me.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vogelman!
    I'm definitely in, and I'll be in Whistler the Sunday and Monday nights preceding the conference. Anyone else gonna be around looking for some epic riding Mon/Tue? Anyone looking to share sleeping accomodations for those nights? Email or PM me.
    I'll be in town Saturday afternoon to ride and hang out before the conference starts. Here's where I'm staying:

Whistler Creek Lodge
    2021 Karen Crescent

If anyone wants to hook up to ride, call or stop by that place between Saturday evening and Monday mid-day and ask for Dewayne Buratti.

D

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Just bought my tickets!! Who else is in for sure?
    Damn, I was in for sure; had just bought tickets, booked a condo right in the village with a bunch of friends..... Then I ruptured my left achilles tendon and am on crutches for the next 3 months. Sux to be me right now.

Have fun you guys!

cranktankerous Mainer
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    Damn, I was in for sure; had just bought tickets, booked a condo right in the village with a bunch of friends..... Then I ruptured my left achilles tendon and am on crutches for the next 3 months. Sux to be me right now.

Have fun you guys!
    That is such a bummer that we aren't traveling together from New England Rob, heal up! That really blows.

Everything is all set here in Maine, except waiting for my renewed passport to get sent back. Since it is fricking raining again, I took apart and packed up the gemini for air travel today, (phew) glad it fits into that Thule case, barely. I bought some mini toothpaste, washed all my bike cloths and the suitcase 90% is packed. I'm bouncing off the walls waiting for my first visit to Whistler, I can't wait! Sunday to Sunday its going to be soooo sick riding there! oh yeah, and that conference thing will be fun too, look forward to seeing some familiar faces and making new friends too. Whistler is going to be so wicked awesome.

Melt snow, melt!
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Tallboy LTc & Bronson

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    for all those coming and wanting to ride...why not come join us for the monday night Wild Willies social ride. They have 4 different levels of rides for all abilities. And after there is always an apres. An event to never be missed

Members who have read this thread: 0