IMBA Local Program: What Mountain Bike Advocacy Organizations Need to Know- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2017

IMBA Local Program: What Mountain Bike Advocacy Organizations Need to Know

With this new program offering, leaders for existing and former IMBA chapters, member clubs, and organizations unaffiliated with IMBA have a business decision to make in the first half of 2018. Since IMBA Local is a membership management and services offering, the first step in answering this “good deal” question is to evaluate your organization’s business requirements. The appropriate IMBA Local engagement level is dependent on the answers to the following four business questions, as well as other questions pertinent to each organization. Read the article:
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/trail-advocacy/new-imba-local-program-mountain-bike-advocacy-organizations-need-know/

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks for posting, I was surprised that no one posted the IMBA Local plan when they emailed it to all their members:

https://www.imba.com/imba-local

Basic outline:

* IMBA no longer to be a membership organization.
    * Local orgs can still be chapters or affiliates (e.g. say they're with IMBA), or not.
    * Everyone can use their services, branded or not. E.g. membership mangement or trail work consulting.
    * They want to build some new 'regional' system which is more practical than their old regions--chapter organized?

I'm curious how it will play out. Kevin Adam's article (linked above) is a knowledable overview too.

This is a big big change. Surprised people haven't commented on it before.

(And it looks like some posts were deleted related to a specific inflammatory issue. That may have fed into this, but please keep that to another thread. Thank you mods!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    Thanks for posting, I was surprised that no one posted the IMBA Local plan when they emailed it to all their members
    I posted about it here. It didn't get much response.

We (Team Dirt) are staying with IMBA as a chapter in Oregon. We have two neighbors (SATA and DoD) who are leaving. One of the largest trail building organizations in our state, COTA, has never been with IMBA, as far as I know.

WillWorkForTrail
    I've specifically refrained from commenting on this because my next episode will be covering this with regards to local organizations and the STC and bikes in wilderness. Lots of thoughts.

saddlemeat
    ^post a link when it's up.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    It still bugs me that IMBA claims to be THE national voice of mountain bikers. When #1, mountain bikers have no voice in electing the board so no voice in setting a national agenda and #2, on top of it IMBA declares it's no longer a membership organization. I don't think IMBA's in any position to make that claim.

Our club chose the Rerun app to manage membership when it left the chapter program early last year. For us it costs about $2.50/member. It's user friendly as basically a recurring subscription manager.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Correct, COTA is not nor has ever been an IMBA Chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    I posted about it here. It didn't get much response.

We (Team Dirt) are staying with IMBA as a chapter in Oregon. We have two neighbors (SATA and DoD) who are leaving. One of the largest trail building organizations in our state, COTA, has never been with IMBA, as far as I know.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    ^post a link when it's up.
    Just posted this morning. Apparently there's been busy doings at MBR headquarters.

Wilderness/HR1348/Updates - Trail Cast | Mountain Bike Radio