IMBA doesn't seem to want to help??- Mtbr.com
    Not dead yet, just playin

IMBA doesn't seem to want to help??

I've tried contacting (by email) my local IMBA representative, and an official from the main office in Boulder regarding help in protecting a trail system in my area. I haven't heard back from either one. As a member of an IMBA affiliated club, I was always under the impression that IMBA staff is there to help with trail advocacy. Any tips on who I should try to contact next?

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

keep trying

I can only guess that IMBA is spread thin. We can only get sporadic advice or help from them for our trail closure issues also. I too, have wondered what to do. I hope since IMBA sponsors this "save the trails" forum, that they will monitor this and contact you. Sometimes we need their expertise.

Be sure to join IMBA as an individual too, the extra funds going their way will eventually make a difference in the amount of personnel they can hire.

Keep trying.

Freshly Fujified

How long has it been?

Quote Originally Posted by ohpossum
    I've tried contacting (by email) my local IMBA representative, and an official from the main office in Boulder regarding help in protecting a trail system in my area. I haven't heard back from either one. As a member of an IMBA affiliated club, I was always under the impression that IMBA staff is there to help with trail advocacy. Any tips on who I should try to contact next?

op
    If it's only been a couple days, give them until end of business Monday. If it's been longer, email them both again in the same email, and politely reiterate your need for their assistance. Remember, the local reps are volunteers, and from personal and similar experience, sometimes it takes a few days to get back. Bottom line, they'll reply, at least that's been my experience.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Not dead yet, just playin
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    If it's only been a couple days, give them until end of business Monday. If it's been longer, email them both again in the same email, and politely reiterate your need for their assistance. Remember, the local reps are volunteers, and from personal and similar experience, sometimes it takes a few days to get back. Bottom line, they'll reply, at least that's been my experience.

Bob

Its been about 4 weeks for the Local Rep and close to a week for the HQ person. I don't really have any option but to wait longer

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

Wandervans

just call the office

or the rep that might be better.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

desert dweller
    I'm the IMBA rep in Nevada. Sometimes when anyone emails me or the bike club it takes a few days to get back to them -- sometimes the stars are aligned and I can get back to them within an hour or two.
    IMBA itself is spread very thin and this time of year they are planning Trail Care Crew Visits, Epic Rides, finding out what the RTP (recreation trail program) cuts will be this year --after fighting so hard to get additional funds added in the Transportation Bill last year. Look at the contact list for IMBA, there aren't a lot of people that work for IMBA full time and keeping up with a nations mountain bike issues is a huge job. I know, as a state rep I'm trying to keep up with, participate in and/or organize the following:

1. Boulder City's Bootleg Canyon access issues
    2. Red Rock Canyon (Cottonwood Area) Trail work plans for TCC visit & new stone trailhead sign develoment
    3. Middle Kyle Canyon trail system development
    4. Sloan Canyon NCA trail development
    5. SR 160 speed limit issue (not really a mtb issue -- but bicycling none-the-less)
    6. Federal RTP cuts for Nevada Trails -- will it really affect us?
    7. Attending county, city & Federal shareholder meetings
    8. Old Spanish Trail scoping sessions.

It's a lot of stuff for a volunteer to deal with sometimes. Luckily most of us are passionate enough about the cause to plow through it. That isn't even showing most of the local bike club stuff we are involved with. For me that would be:
    1. Maintaining the Club Website ie http://www.barta-nv.com
    2. Participating in club rides
    3. Helping plan club trail work days
    4. Helping plan club events
    5. Still finding time to ride

Also, most of us have families and 9-to5 jobs to take care of and not neglect. But, like I said before, we are passionate about this stuff to do the best we can to help in any way possible.

mbb

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

4 weeks is just way too long

In 4 weeks, how many critical deadlines could pass? A howdy, I'll get back to you soon, would sure have helped. Maybe you will become the state rep soon.

The bottom line is that we all need to be much more proactive, because we're losing trails faster than IMBA can save them. If everyone would join IMBA, or actively create groups such as the Warrior's Society, the personnel and budgets would have a lot more power.

Keep trying, and do everything you can locally too.

SALLGUD

IMBA reps rock!

Matt, the explanation of what an IMBA state rep does and how busy they can be describes, to a "T", a neighbor and friend of mine who also happens to be our state rep (SC), Bill Victor. The selflessness and passion he shows consistently have bettered mountain biking in our area by leaps and bounds.

After knowing Bill for several years and seeing how passionate he is about the state of mountain biking in our area, I have a lot of new found respect and admiration for you guys/gals. It is easy to pi$$ and moan about the lack of respect cyclists get, but it takes a lot of guts and desire to step up to the plate and make a real difference.

Thanks,
    Michael
    (IMBA member and waiting on my '06 calendar!)

desert dweller
    I just thought of something else. Sometimes the IMBA website has rather out-of-date information when it comes to State Reps. Scrounge around for accurate contact information.

mbb
    Last edited by mattbikeboy; 01-30-2006 at 09:36 AM.

Ride Responsibly

Calendar

Michael
    (IMBA member and waiting on my '06 calendar!)[/QUOTE]

Just got a copy of the 06 IMBA calendar, FREE, along with one of the nice "thank you" cards IMBA sends out .
    Possom, Keep trying, maybe contact the next nearest IMBA rep.
    Do join IMBA yourself.
    Lyle

Don't worry, be happy!
    have you spent any time looking through the IMBA site for tools, articles, sample documents, other things that might be applicable to your situation? I've always seen the national IMBA office as there to provide tools for doing it yourself, as comparted to stepping in and doing it for you. Whenever I've contacted them for help/ideas, I've been pointed to the web site for resources.

~formica

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB406
    I can only guess that IMBA is spread thin. We can only get sporadic advice or help from them for our trail closure issues also. I too, have wondered what to do. I hope since IMBA sponsors this "save the trails" forum, that they will monitor this and contact you. Sometimes we need their expertise.

Be sure to join IMBA as an individual too, the extra funds going their way will eventually make a difference in the amount of personnel they can hire.

Keep trying.
    Not being in Boulder I can't comment on how frequently the IMBA office gang surfs the forum. As IMBA's webmaster, I look at it about once a week. Knowing what goes on in the office I don't think those guys have too much free time to surf the web. :-) That is one busy place! I can say the IMBA website is updated practically every day. Being part time I usually make updates in the evening. Since the site contains so much info (over 2,800 documents, i think) it might not seem like a constant update, but it is.

The contacts section is occasionally out of date but IMBA is about to implement a new database which should help things a LOT. Currently, they have to do a DB export, send that info to me, and i work it up for the web. Very time intensive. It should go live in February. As far as contact info, Reps, ect, I change those the same day I'm sent new info.

I don't know why no one at IMBA returned your email and for that I apologize. Personally, i'Il try to reply to all emails within 24 hours. But i'm a desk jocky and a geek so I'm (sadly) never too far from email. IMBA is putting out advocacy fires 24/7 and our volunteer reps really help us make that local connection. Those guys and gals work like crazy. i was a rep for about 5 years and it's a heck of a ride.

I'd recommend calling IMBA's toll free number (1-888-442-4622) or the number listed for your local rep. If they are no longer a rep they usually know who replaced them.

You can also get an idea of exactly who you want to talk to by looking at our staff listing.
    http://www.imba.com/contacts/staff.html

Lastly, and probably most importantly, if there is a local IMBA club in your area they may already be working on the problem you've identified.
    http://www.imba.com/contacts/near_you.html

Free free to email me at webmaster - at - imba.com with any questions

james

Feb 2004
    Ah yes, the trusty ole telephone is the best tool when the case is urgent.

Tre1nt
    Feb 2006

IMBA Wants to Help

Mark from IMBA in Boulder here ... Don't know why your attempts to contact us haven't been successful, but please givce me a call today, or try my email.

303-443-1090 ext. 115

[email protected]

mtbr member
    i signed up for individual memeber ship about a month ago. i still havent gotten any thing back in the mail. hmm...

mtbr member
    ohpossum, I used to be the Louisiana rep. and to my knowledge Miss has not had a Rep. for a long time. I could be wrong if they brought someone in within the last couple years.
    So many of these comments are dead on, the Rep. and IMBA are more of a source of information.
    I have had similar discussions before about what or what not IMBA does.
    I can tell you from my experience IMBA is a vital source of information waiting for individuals to use.
    This is where proactive meets the road, I can guarantee that somewhere at some time your situation has happened and IMBA can probably tell you what your best course of action would be. But bottom line it is up to the local clubs and groups to pursue and follow up on these matters with support from your Rep and IMBA.

Would you mind commenting on what is going on? I've had several dealings with Clear Springs in the past..... I hope it's not that trail. That's one sweet place to ride.

By the way the Trail Care Crew (Nat and Rachael Lopes) will be coming to Hot Springs AR. to conduct a trail building school with the Lake Ouachita Army Corps, USFS, and Ouachita Vista Trail Org. and individuals. This may be a good time to talk face to face and get some Trail tips while your at it.
    where about a seven hour drive depending on where you are at.

IMBA Trailbuilding Workshop

WHEN:
    March 11, 2006
    Classroom 9:00 am - 12:00 noon
    Free Lunch and Trail Snacks
    On Trail Application - 1:30pm - 4:00 pm

WHERE:
    Joplin Methodist Church Fellowship Hall
    US 270 West from Hot Springs approximately 20 miles
    Right onto Mt. Harbor Road go one block
    Left into Church Parking Lot

For Class Reservations Contact:
    Wilburn Powell - 870-867-2072 or [email protected]
    Jerry Shields - 870-867-3100 or [email protected]

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cougar9000
    i signed up for individual memeber ship about a month ago. i still havent gotten any thing back in the mail. hmm...
    And you have followed up with IMBA or you are just going to piss and moan about it here?

desert dweller
    Quote Originally Posted by cougar9000

Sometimes IMBA is slow getting membership info back to members. IMBA only has 24 fulltime employees (including the Trail Care Crews). Don't worry they'll get to it and you'll get you packet. I think last year I waited 6 weeks for my stuff too ( and I'm a NMBP patroller and State Rep.) Just when I sent an email asking if they got my stuff, I recieved my packet two days later. Sometimes they have to wait for sock, jersey & other orders to come back from their suppliers before they send out the packets. They might batch process as well, like only process memberships the 3rd week of each month or such.

Don't worry, they are a great organization to be part of. Maybe someday IMBA will be big enough to have payed Reps in every state and a full time office staff of 100 people in the main office to handle the the work.

mbb

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ohpossum

op
    IMBA has been very helpfult to me and I think the people at Boulder are on the road a lot if you contact Rich Edwards at [email protected] he is located on the east coast and may be able to help or at least connect you with someone who can. He is in virginia.

Members who have read this thread: 0