I got my new BOB trailer- Mtbr.com
    The Voice of Reason

I got my new BOB trailer

and a clinometer. The temps have dropped below 90 and I'm ready to start some trailwork. Any idea how much beer a BOB will hold?

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

About this much

It can take more...but this was all the tools I had to move from one work site to another.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

The Voice of Reason
    wow. that looks pretty cumbersome. i loaded mine up this weekend with a large cooler full of trail signs, a hammer and some nails. it wasn't god-awful heavy but on the trail it took some getting used to. i'm riding a 29er so i'm wondering if the added height makes it more top heavy. overall it was pleasant. i put up blazes on 9 miles of trails and maybe a dozen trail head signs. it took about 5 hours but i wouldn't have finished if i had to walk the whole thing. next weekend i'm blazing a 5 mile loop.

as far as carrying tools, i've seen the plans for something like what you have. in an effort not to do a lot of woodwork, i cut some pieces of 2" pvc and tie wrapped it to the frame of the trailer. the tools just slide right in and can be bungied in place. i haven't tried it on the trail yet so i don't know if it actually works in the real world but it held up around the block. pictures will follow if it holds up well.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    It was cumbersome, but necessary. The bad part was that the trailer was flexing my rear triangle and rear wheel.

As for those tool rack plans you spoke about, I modified them so the long handles of the McLeods and rakes would not drag. With the tool rack I have, it takes some nasty terrain for any tools to drag. I allow have plans to modify my rack so it will hold a chainsaw AND 2 McLeods AND 2 pulaskis AND some fuel and bar oil. Needless to say, in Boise, Idaho, we are building like fiends...thanks to the wonderful relationship we have with our land managers.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

The Voice of Reason
    i noticed lots of twisting going on with my bike. i'm glad i had wide bars to help with the torque.
    we just got in good with our forestry people and this is our first attempt building trails on public land. we've been maintaining an old motorcycle trail for about 10 years that gets tons of use but we can't expand on it. the nearby state forest has 220,000 acres and we've been allowed to start building on a 600 acre parcel that a no hunting area. if this portion goes well, we hope to go nuts with the trail building. the only things we are missing are a good mountain and good soil. we have plenty of sand though.

Members who have read this thread: 0