How to build a wood ramp for wet conditions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

How to build a wood ramp for wet conditions.

I need to build a wooden ramp to soften the landing on about an 8' boulder. It drops about 4' at 60* then 4' vertical to flat. I'd love to build a rock outrun, but we simply don't currently have the power to move big enough rocks to make it work. So I'm building a wood ramp in the hopes that enough people will be riding this line to build a nice rock ramp later.

The problem is that it's in a tropical rain forest and anything that touches dirt will rot out in no time flat. Is it reasonable to build the ramp and bolt it into the boulder with rock anchors to keep anything from touching the dirt and hopefully have it live 2 seasons?

Dirt Monkey
    Apr 2012
    Can you build up a dirt transition using smaller rocks as retaining walls on each side and armor the top with a rock surface? A lot more work than wood, but you'll only have to do it once. Or, use rot resistant woods and it might end up lasting +10 years. Bolting to the rock would work fine as long as the rock is sound and enough anchors are used to support the expected loads on the ramp.

mtbr member
    Could you build a foundation or some (small) piers using CMUs or some sacrete? I'm guessing concrete will be fine, and you probably wouldn't need much to make four spots to attach the wood frame.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evan, yo! View Post
    Could you build a foundation or some (small) piers using CMUs or some sacrete? I'm guessing concrete will be fine, and you probably wouldn't need much to make four spots to attach the wood frame.
    Cardboard tube forms (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sakrete-Com...iABEgK_efD_BwE), concrete post anchors, and a couple bags of sakrete would is a pretty simple way to avoid wood to ground contact.

Tool wise, all you really need is a shovel, post hole digger, wheelbarrow to haul and mix the concrete, and some 5 gallon buckets to haul water from a nearby water source for the concrete. Hopefully the OP has a nearby water source in this tropical rain forest.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Probably easier to just roll some rocks in place. It's a couple mile hike in to the location. But yeah, footings of some sort to keep the bottom off the dirt is definitely in the cards.

There are plenty of rocks around, but getting them built up into a wall to support a ramp wound take a huge amount of labor and need bigger rocks than me and a friend could move. Can't use dirt for fill because it just washes out from the rain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Building with wood is just a bad idea imho unless it's a bike park sort of setting and will see season long maintenance. Get a rock sling, a wheel barrow and a grip of strong friends to help out. Doing a project like this with rock might take a little more time initially but it should last your lifetime and then you never have to look at it again as long as it's done right.

Plus, rock work is rad!

EAT MORE GRIME
    dude

rock

get a 6 foot long prybar, you can move big rocks easy. I mean big

get short lumber and lots smaller rocks and you can elevate/pry rocks up to position
    it's not easy and takes time but doable. I've moved so much rock by myself and one 6 foot prybar and a smaller crowbar...all I needed was a lot of smaller rocks as fulcrums, time, and gatorade, and clothes I can get dirty, because you'll be hugging them boulders

I built this causeway by myself, there were zero rocks here before I went apeshit to make a path across this perpetual puddle. just takes time and gumption

plus with rocks, moss will grow and it becomes like the earth again, not some artificial man-made shit-stain in the woodsHow to build a wood ramp for wet conditions.-170946_1275914235558_1074197_o.jpg

to move rock a long distance get a stone boat toss boulder on it, and a strap connected to the bottom third of the prybar, and you can lever-walk the stone boat pretty much anywhere. or if you have better tools or room for a jeep to pull it that is better sure...but stealth, and middle of nowhere, prybar and strap can build whatever. oh yeah shovel is good too
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Drilling rocks for anchors? Sacrete? Blasphemy.