Help with volunteer marketing- Mtbr.com
    Cleavage Of The Tetons

Help with volunteer marketing

I am working on a marketing campaign for our volunteer trail days this year in Teton Valley, Idaho. We are going to have four distinct events, and want to promote them effectively. Could folks help with links to examples of other marketing efforts that have been really effective in getting folks out to dig? Internet sites, brochures, community involvement reciprocal efforts, any and all good examples that we could emulate, basically. Thanks in advance!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

since 4/10/2009
    From the experience I have in getting work groups together, signs/flyers at LBSes (in a visible area like taped to the counter...not buried behind a flyer for the next roadie ride on a bulletin board) work pretty well, as does posting on local mtb message boards or mailing lists. Some folks I know have had success with advertising with trail runner groups or hiking groups who also use the trail.

Aside from what methods to use, consistency also makes a big difference. For example, having the event on the 2nd Saturday of the month at 10am or something that NEVER changes. Rewards for a hard days' work also help. Organized post-work social rides, brews, free food from a local sponsor, schwag, etc. If the work day occurs this time of year, a good, warm, indoor location for post-work relaxation and socialization is important. Also, advertise WELL in advance the work day schedule (I'd say at least a couple months if possible).

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Wendell,

Use as many avenues as you can find. Post a notice at your local book store, earthy-crunchy grocery store, outdoor gear store, etc. Try to drum up interest with schwag, too. Try not to make it too bike specific in case you get non-cyclists to attend. Post an advanced notice at the trail head advertising the event, too. Maybe post one in the local parks and rec buildings and the YMCA/YWCA facilities.

Motivation is the key to getting and retaining volunteers. Promise them donuts or danishes for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch...all donated by local companies. Get your club to buy sodas and chips to accompany the sandwiches.

Good luck!

BTW, I just got a contract with a developer to repair some trails in his development and build some new ones. He has about $10K in the budget for the projects. I think I can stretch it to complete what he wants done this year.

Dewayne

Members who have read this thread: 0