Hauling one big rock

Printable View

• 01-05-2019
    ki5ka
    1 Attachment(s)
    Hauling one big rock
    This is similar to a couple of current threads, but unique in that it is a one-off event so a big investment doesn't make sense, and some otherwise impractical methods might be in order considering we would only be doing it once.

As I have posted before, we use carved stone trail markers for the trail. In all cases, we've either driven most or all the way in a truck or "Razor". Some have been hauled on my shoulder for a few hundred feet.

This one is big and heavy (more than 200 pounds)...

Attachment 1232104

and the location is several thousand yards from the nearest vehicle access, then 200 feet up a 30% grade; or, if we come at it from the other direction, a couple of miles, then up a 15% grade. Safety on the slope is a concern, as is the crack in the rock; a fall might split it.

I'm thinking that packing it in by foot is probably our best bet. A litter or backboard, with a hauling line on the front to help on the hills. Of course the litter with the wheel would be good, but again, this is a one time deal, so that doesn't seem to make sense.

Other than the ideas already suggested in the other posts, anyone have a better idea?
  • 01-05-2019
    ki5ka
    Well guess I exaggerated that one, it's only 80 pounds! Can probably do this in a backpack.
  • 01-05-2019
    For big rocks and a 1 man show I have utilized a "drag board". 3/4" plywood cut down to trail width and appropriate load length with several holes drilled through it for lash/tie down straps and haul straps. Cheap and easy to construct and slides well over rough terrain. Cut and drill the board for your terrain and carry needs. Roll/lever rock on to board + tie/lash it down and drag away. Grunt work but way easier than carrying it on your back over uphill distance. Easy to clean up/erase the drag marks after the work is done.
  • 01-05-2019
    ki5ka
    I wondered if anyone had tried that, thanks 11!
  • 01-06-2019
    karthur
    Cool trail marker!
  • 01-06-2019
    Cotharyus
    Even if you're strong, 80lbs is a lot on either one of those slopes. I made a rock sling out of ~$80 worth of load straps that I've used to lift rocks with a mini-ex, or run poles through and use as a four man lift to haul somewhat lighter loads. I'd go with that as a 4 man lift pretty quick on a load this size over the distance and terrain you're talking about.
  • 01-06-2019
    Le Duke
    For 80lbs, a sturdy backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 01-06-2019
    abaughman
    What about a game cart?
  • 01-06-2019
    ki5ka
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Even if you're strong, 80lbs is a lot on either one of those slopes. ...

You're right of course, even hiking up with a bike is a struggle but I think the steep part of the trail is too narrow for a 4 man lift. (BTW, the trail name is intended to be ironic :P)

I'm liking 11's idea of the drag-board, at least for the steepest part. That way, a break would simply involve stopping, rather than having to figure out how to lower then raise the load, which I imagine could get exciting especially when exhausted. We could still have accomodations for 4 haulers where space allows.

We might just put it at the bottom, though I still think we should put it up top :P

FWIW I ran across this one in my browsing. Similar to the one that showed up in Speedychix's "Wheelbarrow" thread, but different. Pretty cool, has a brake. There have been two injuries this past year where this would have been handy. Would have been cheaper than the helo they called in for one of them.

Attachment 1232211
  • 01-06-2019
    Schulze
    Only 80 lbs? I've hauled 300lb rocks up 45 degree slopes.
  • 01-06-2019
    ki5ka
    Then you da man! man. o7
  • 01-06-2019
    ki5ka
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by abaughman View Post
    What about a game cart?

That was one of the suggestions in the other post that I considered. This trail is too narrow for a two wheeled axle, so a single wheel version would be the only option, like this one
    Attachment 1232257
    but again, this is a one-off event, so a $500 purchase is not in the cards; still, I like it :)

Another concern is controlling it on the steep slope. A brake on the wheel will not be enough, as I have demonstrated trying to ride down it... LOL The last 200 feet is difficult to simple walk up. Each step must be carefully placed or dug in. Quite "thrilling"... lol
  • 01-06-2019
    leeboh
    Got snow? Sled or snowmachine or both? Power wheel barrow? 80 lbs is not that much. Mesh cross straps with poles on both sides, 2 workers on each side. So really steep pitch to finish? Strap it into a wheel barrow, just the carrying part. Or make a box frame for it. Use a come along/ portable winch to get it to the top? Block and tackle?
  • 01-06-2019
    leeboh
    I'm going to get this done for you, really. Pack mule? Try this, get a case of beer, start a fitness contest, ya know those guys that crawl through mud and flip tractor tires. Put the beer at the top of the hill, winner of longest carry gets the beer?
  • 01-06-2019
    ki5ka
    LOL love it! Bet this would work too!
  • 01-07-2019
    Schulze
    The best way I've found is to get ahold of a 500' roll of rope and some pulleys. Put the rock in a sack or tie it with 1" webbing and move it 200' at a time. Use gasoline/vehicle power if available. Cut the path into sections and move it the best way available on each section.