The greatest source of trail funding is in grave danger.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

The greatest source of trail funding is in grave danger.

Please take a few minutes to save trails nationwide!

For the past two decades, the Recreational Trails Program steered roughly half of all federal, OHV fuel taxes toward trail improvements. The budget grew to nearly $100 million, which was split between motorized and non-motorized projects.

But more than ever before, RTP is imperiled by a congressional reauthorization that would divert 100% of these OHV-related taxes to non-trail projects. In other words, OHV users will continue to pay, but trail riders will no long benefit.

To write your congressmen, use guidelines from the Coalition for Recreational Trails:
    House version of Transportation funding bill released by Rep. Mica

If you don't have time for a personal message, form letters are available from IMBA:
    RTP on the Verge of Elimination in U.S. Senate | International Mountain Bicycling Association

If we don't revive RTP, it will be gone before this spring. So thank you for acting today!

Clif Koontz
    program director
    Ride with Respect

mtbr member
    Bump!

1 week and no reply's to this post.

This seems really important... I hope folks are taking some action!

trail rat
    I get alerts from many places, IMBA, People for Bikes, American Wheelmen, League of American Bicyclists, etc. etc.etc.etc.etc.

I can tell you from personal experience over years, that MTBR is not the best place for advocacy, like our local trails, people want others to take care of what they want, without them having to do anything.

I took action days before this posted and let everyone local now about it.
    Replies here are not going to accomplish anything significant.

Easiest link is this, House Bill Reverses Decades of Progress on Bike/Ped. It will find and email your congressional rep.

Now you have my reply, happy?
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    I get alerts from many places, IMBA, People for Bikes, American Wheelmen, League of American Bicyclists, etc. etc.etc.etc.etc.

I can tell you from personal experience over years, that MTBR is not the best place for advocacy, like our local trails, people want others to take care of what they want, without them having to do anything.

I took action days before this posted and let everyone local now about it.
    Replies here are not going to accomplish anything significant.

Easiest link is this, House Bill Reverses Decades of Progress on Bike/Ped. It will find and email your congressional rep.

Now you have my reply, happy?
    Ya, Ive done the same. I was just a bit surprised with all the chat that goes on here about our great sport in general, that this did not generate any discussion. I'm very active in my local trail building scene, and with a few others in the process of applying for grant money to build and improve trails. If this goes through it will put a pretty big damper on some of our plans.

Just thought it wouldn't hurt to try and draw some additional attention to this issue... With all the crying that goes on for federal budget cuts these days this stuff is the first to go and will effect us all.

trail rat
    Don't get me wrong, I fully agree. This forum works well for exchange of ideas, and notices like this are good, since they alert those who care and will take action; TAKE ACTION, and not just talk, talk,talk.

I just know that 2% do the groundwork and politicking to get access, 5% do the work to design and layout the trail, and maybe 20% come out and work to help build it. Then 200% ride it and complain either about the trail, or that they do not have more access.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by land lover View Post
    If we don't revive RTP, it will be gone before this spring. So thank you for acting today!
    Looks like the amendment didn't pass. Sorry i saw this too late to pass it on.

Not sure about your area, but most of our trails funding comes from the state lottery via Great Outdoors Colorado and State Trails grants... so all may not be lost, although there are those who are attempting to steal that money to pay for the education cuts they've been making over the past many years.

Also, I noticed that they are cutting just about everything to do with trails. The LWCF grants are being cut by 90% from FY2011 levels. That's huge.
    2011 Federal Budget: funding issues for trails, enhancements, and bike/pedesrian programs

Anyway. I'll pass this on in my local forum and help get the word out.

trail rat
    Just received this,

You have probably heard that the Petri/Johnson/Lipinski amendment to restore dedicated funding for bicycling and walking lost narrowly by just two votes in this morning’s Transportation Committee meeting in the House of Representatives. The bi-partisan amendment and vote took place against the backdrop of a very partisan and rancorous mark-up of the legislation – the two Republican sponsors of the bike/walk amendment, Reps. Petri and Johnson, deserve a huge “thank you” for taking on this challenge on behalf of the cycling and walking community.

You also deserve a huge “thank you”. The League’s on-line advocacy center reported yours was one of more than 18,000 e-mails sent to Members of Congress on this issue – a stunning number, and surely part of the reason we were able to put up such a good fight today. We are meeting this evening with our colleagues in the America Bikes coalition to determine our next steps, greatly heartened by your incredible support. If nothing else, today’s vote has shown the leadership of the House and committee chairman Mica that we are a force with which to be reckoned.

Notwithstanding other developments, we expect the transportation bill will be debated on the floor of the House of Representatives very soon: February 13th. As soon as we have decided our strategy for this next critical phase, we’ll be in touch again. Meanwhile, you can check the League’s website, or America Bikes for more information; and please follow us on Twitter and Facebook for real-time updates

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    Looks like the amendment didn't pass. Sorry i saw this too late to pass it on.

Not sure about your area, but most of our trails funding comes from the state lottery via Great Outdoors Colorado and State Trails grants... so all may not be lost, although there are those who are attempting to steal that money to pay for the education cuts they've been making over the past many years.
    Half of the RTP money that Colorado receives (About $600,000 if I remember correctly) also goes to the non-motorized trail grants program. The OHV program in Colorado receives the other half, which is then supplemented by the OHV registrations (totaling about 3.1 to 4 million each year)

Good job of keeping aware of this guys. RTP is often overlooked, and is INCREDIBLY important to maintaining sustainable trail access nationwide.
    To learn more about Tread Lightly! and responsible use of public lands, or to become a member, visit www.treadlightly.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Considering there are only 8 responses in here is a bit alarming at this point!!

Chances are you have ridden a trail that has been funded by RTP.

If you are reading this forum PLEASE just take a moment and fill out this form online to let all of the members of this committee that you support the RTP Grant Program

https://secure3.convio.net/arra/site...rAction&id=322

Jose Alea
    SORBA MidTN Advocacy Director
    Sorba Mid TN

mtbr member

Call your Senators TODAY to support a more positive amendment

Subject: Now is the time to support Senate RTP amendment

TO: State Trail Administrators
    FROM: Stuart Macdonald, Coalition for Recreational Trails rep for state trails programs

Just received from CRT to pass on to your network of trail supporters:

We are very pleased that Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) has agreed to introduce an amendment to MAP-21 that will continue the RTP as a stand-alone program with its own funding. The amendment is expected to be introduced this week – so the time for action is now. See updates and helpful links: Take action to support funding for trails and bicycle-pedestrian programs

If this amendment is approved, then the RTP should be protected in both the Senate and House transportation bills. However, for Sen. Klobuchar’s effort to be successful, we must build support for her amendment. We need you to CALL YOUR SENATORS FEB. 13 or 14 and ask them to support Sen. Klobuchar’s amendment to include dedicated funding for the Recreational Trails Program in MAP-21.

The key messages are simple:

· Unless the bill is changed, MAP-21 will effectively eliminate the Recreational Trails Program; and

· Please support Senator Klobuchar’s MAP-21 amendment to include dedicated funding for RTP.

Other helpful messages include:

· For the last two decades, RTP has received a portion of the gas taxes paid by users of off-highway motorized vehicles to fund trail building, maintenance and other trail-related projects. More than 13,000 projects have been funded across the country for all kinds of trail uses. This is a very successful program.

· At its current level of annual funding – $85 million – RTP receives less than 42% of the Federal Highway Administration’s conservative estimate of the federal gas taxes paid by America’s nonhighway recreationists. Unless it is amended, the Senate bill will reduce that percentage to zero and impose a substantial new tax on motorized recreation enthusiasts.

· The return of gas taxes to trail users through the RTP is in keeping with the user-pay, user-benefit philosophy of the Highway Trust Fund. Ending dedicated funding for RTP takes these gas taxes away from the people who pay them. Ending dedicated funding for RTP is bad public policy and just plain wrong.

· The RTP is the foundation of state trail programs. If the RTP loses its dedicated funding, organized trail planning and development will simply vanish in many areas of the country.
    In the summer I build trails: www.sinuosity.net
    In the winter I build these: www.fatbikeskis.com

mtbr member
    Upon reading this post on Jan. 30th, I sent a letter to my senator explaining the impact Map-21 would have on RTP funding. Much to my surprise, a week later he's co-sponsoring an amendment that would help preserve much of this funding.

My point is that our representatives have to know the concerns of their constituents. Please take the time to write a letter to your senator and ask him/her to support the Cardin-Cochran amendment.

http://www.americabikes.org/Document...an_summary.pdf

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by th29 View Post
    Upon reading this post on Jan. 30th, I sent a letter to my senator explaining the impact Map-21 would have on RTP funding. Much to my surprise, a week later he's co-sponsoring an amendment that would help preserve much of this funding.

My point is that our representatives have to know the concerns of their constituents. Please take the time to write a letter to your senator and ask him/her to support the Cardin-Cochran amendment.

http://www.americabikes.org/Document...an_summary.pdf

The above Amendment is for the TE and SRTS programs.

You should tell people to support both Amendments when writing.

mtbr member
    I contacted Congress on this as well.

Now I'll add another challenge to you all: Who's making the trip to DC for the National Bike Summit? You get to actually lobby your members of Congress to support trails and RTP funding. Anyone?

I've only been 7 or 8 times. It's very worthwhile (and if the weather holds, there is some amazing mountain biking on the outskirts of town).

It'll cost you 1/2 as much as a new fork... League of American Bicyclists * National Bike Summit

mk

Members who have read this thread: 0