Grand Ridge Bog Punchon (Seattle WA)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Grand Ridge Bog Punchon (Seattle WA)

Over 2 winters we built a 600'+ punchon across a pete bog. The seven mile trail is now done* from Issaquah to Duthie Hill MTB Park. Wood is cedar that came mostly from a 2006 windstorm and an old dock. A few were felled nearby. All deck boards milled with chainsaw.

Pics from start to finish
    MobileMe Gallery

Built by King County Parks and this outfit
    Home — Washington Trails Association
    We're very lucky to have an organization that can do about 100,000 hours of work a year.

Trail info
    Trail:Grand Ridge - Evergreen Trail Guide

facebook page
    Grand Ridge Trail | Facebook

*A trail is never done, always something to improve......
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Awesome pics. Love to see chainsaw milling being done for trail work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Unpredictable
    Out of interest, how do you estimate the expected lifespan of that sort of construction? I gather cedar is fairly resistant to water, but with erosion, sinking and movement from use, it must be hard to judge even with such solid timber.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's a good question, I'll ask next time I see the parks guy.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Out of interest, how do you estimate the expected lifespan of that sort of construction? I gather cedar is fairly resistant to water, but with erosion, sinking and movement from use, it must be hard to judge even with such solid timber.
    Wouldn't surprise me if it lasted decades. i haven't worked on it, but this project is literally a few hundred feet from the project i'm currently working on. And after inspecting it a bit i can tell you this.

Western Red Cedar is not necessarily resistant to water but it's resistant to rot. The toxins in the wood taste terrible to bugs, etc.

The sleeper logs are not fixed but they did create a bed of limestone cobble for it to lie upon. So while there might be movement and sag, the load should be spread out a bit more as it will ride the bed of cobble.

The other factor to consider is that the sleepers that will be submerged in water are not buried in the ground. So when Summer/Fall comes around this wetland area will be completely dry, and since the sleeper logs are not submerged they will breathe and dry out. That's a big factor as when wood retains water and is covered up where it can't breathe it breaks down alot faster.

Back in the day old growth cedar was such the make-up that it could literally last 100 years. The quality of younger trees isn't quite up to that standard but they milled everything on that bridge so nearly ridiculously stout, it really should last decades.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    May 2004

I need skills
    Jul 2004

truly remarkable

Very nice.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Official length is 605'

horseman
    Sep 2005
    Really impressive!!! Trying to figure out solution to shorter upland bog on some USFS trail in SE Vt.

Members who have read this thread: 0