GIS Mapping or ranch map question- Mtbr.com
    featherweight clydesdale

GIS Mapping or ranch map question

I visited a friend's ranch a month or two ago in Rio Arriba County, Lindrith, NM. He had a map of the property that looked like it was from 1970 and it was all worn out and taped together. I'd like to "upgrade" his map as a gift.

What I want to do is what I do for all my trail work maps, stroll down to the GIS department, and pay them to print out a poster size aerial w/ some topo lines. However, I'm in Virginia. Rio Arriba has no GIS department...

Can anyone recommend a mapping service that can print my poster (for a fee) if I supply the coordinates for the mid-point of the property (which I marked on my GPS) and say, a 1.5-mile radius??

Thanks!
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

saddlemeat
    REI if you are near one.
    I ride with the best dogs.

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    REI if you are near one.
    We're talking a custom map printed out poster size, not something sitting on a shelf? I don't see this offered on line at REI? But there's a store an hour away I'm willing to drive to.
    www.cambc.org

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly View Post
    We're talking a custom map printed out poster size, not something sitting on a shelf? I don't see this offered on line at REI? But there's a store an hour away I'm willing to drive to.
    The REI in Albuquerque custom prints their maps, or did the last time I was there.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    new USGS topo maps? Take the pdf to your local printer?

ims.er.usgs.gov/gda_services/download?item_id=5231857&quad=Lindrith&state=NM&gr id=7.5X7.5&series=TNM%20GeoPDF

Hermit
    I do some mapping and might be able to help you out. Send me an email if interested.

Steve Z
    swampboy62"AT"yahoo.com
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by swampboy62 View Post
    I do some mapping and might be able to help you out. Send me an email if interested.

Steve Z
    swampboy62"AT"yahoo.com
    Steve, I sent you some email. Thanks for the offer.

Drew, I haven't been able to unzip that file (yet).
    www.cambc.org

since 4/10/2009
    My suggestion:

Do your own GIS work and head to your local copy shop with a pdf of your product.

High res satellite imagery should be available for the area from a state agency website (Texas has 1m sat imagery available for just about everywhere and 0.5m imagery available for some places, all free, for example).

Free GIS software is available - try out QGIS or MapWindow GIS. Contours are free, and I'd add in water and road vector layers, too. I'd do my best to acquire or digitize in some way the property lines and any property subdivisions you can find out.

MyTopo.com can do custom-centered topo maps of a place, and it looks like they'll also do a blended topo/sat image. I can vouch for their products. Quality stuff. You can have them laminate, too. Looks like you can add GPS data, but not sure what kinds. Might be worth looking into.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drew p View Post
    new USGS topo maps? Take the pdf to your local printer?

ims.er.usgs.gov/gda_services/download?item_id=5231857&quad=Lindrith&state=NM&gr id=7.5X7.5&series=TNM%20GeoPDF
    Drew, just downloaded the map because I have an interest in map-making. Great map!

At the risk of thread crashing:
    Can anyone tell me what the "Hydrographic Features" are on this map? They are shown as brown dots on the river.
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!
    http://realworldbiking.blogspot.com

since 4/10/2009
    "Hydrographic Features" would be features of interest to whitewater paddlers - rapids and such.

Members who have read this thread: 0