Flagging cost?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Flagging cost?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Flagging cost?

I've been asked by a customer what my flagging cost is? To this point, we've been building trail flagged by others. I haven't created a price for flagging. Any suggestions on how to charge for flagging? I'm thinking an hourly rate, but wasn't sure if their is a rule of thumb to use

Dirt Monkey
    Apr 2012
    Flagging as in you're given the route and you mark it OR you determine the route and put up flagging material? Big difference between the two. Hourly rate would probably work best since the time to complete a job would be highly dependent on the terrain, vegetation, and even season.

WillWorkForTrail
    I use an hourly rate for flagging. To be clear, that's separate from the rate I use for design work, which is also hourly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thanks for the help here. Yes, we've been asked to design/flag a section. Our current build is based on per ft., but that was build only (they designed and flagged). Can you give me a range per hour you would use for Design and/or flagging?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Normally we use tape on trees to layout the trail corridor, then pin flag as we are building.

If possible get the trail corridor approved, with some +/- of corridor. This provides some wiggle room as you build. As, I have found pin flags tend to disappear more often than tape, especially in an area currently used by the public.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by ATSDIGS View Post
    Thanks for the help here. Yes, we've been asked to design/flag a section. Our current build is based on per ft., but that was build only (they designed and flagged). Can you give me a range per hour you would use for Design and/or flagging?
    This is going to vary a lot depending how involved your design process is and what you perceive your time as being worth. I've been told I'm on the low end of what people have paid for design, which I find surprising unless I learn they've been using Trail Solutions. I typically do all my designing in a digital domain and provide PDF's to clients. I also charge a buffer for several larger print outs, and typically for at least one of those to be laminated. My cost considerations are time, equipment, software costs, material costs, drive time/milage, etc. - and because inevitably that's going to be different for you than me, and even for me from job to job sometimes, providing my range of cost to you would probably be much less helpful than providing you with my cost considerations. Hope that helps.

Dirt Monkey
    Apr 2012
    From personal experience, in highly eroded hardwood forest terrain, I can design 1-2 miles of trail using GIS in a few hours given all relevant info is available (start/end, boundaries, control points, topo maps, terrain data, etc). Add another few hours in the field to verify the GIS plan. Last trail I flagged took +10 hrs per mile (initial tape/pin flagging for the corridor clearing and a final pin flagging to show volunteers where to dig the actual trail).

I've only done volunteer builds so not sure what the private per hour rate is for each type of work. We use ~$23/hr for our "volunteer value" numbers so I figure it would be at least that much and probably a lot more.