First Aid/Trauma Kit for Trailbuilding- Mtbr.com
    Dirt Monkey
    Apr 2012

First Aid/Trauma Kit for Trailbuilding

What kind of first aid/trauma kits do trailbuilders carry? I haven't found one I like yet (not enough stuff for serious injuries) so I'm thinking of building my own or adding items to supplement an existing kit. I'd like to keep it small enough to fit in my trail pack.

The most serious injuries I'd expect are bleeding b/c we use chainsaws (with PPE) and other sharp tools.

Injury types I suspect would be good to plan for & other supplies to include:
    • Eye injuries (clean water, irrigation syringe)
    • Insect stings (?)
    • Minor/major bleeding (bandaids, gauze, trauma pads, med tape, alcohol wipes, antibiotic ointment, quick clotting pads, tourniquet)
    • Splinters/thorns (tweezers)
    • Misc items: gloves, duct tape, scissors

Have other suggestions for supplies or common trailbuilding injuries that would need field treatment?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    tourniquet
    quickclot
    surgical scrub brushes impregnated with antibacterial soap
    Benadryl for insect bites
    powdered asprin for heart attacks

banned
    Nov 2017
    Ummm how bout a fully functioning brain and sense of ones surroundings. 30 years building trail no 1st aid kits with crews or solo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I suggest you find and take a wilderness first aid class. Your first aid kit is an important element but a somewhat minor after thought with respect to the knowledge that you need to have to handle an emergency situation. You can have the best kit offered but if you don't know how to use what you got is useless.
    Last edited by MuniMan26; 03-31-2018 at 06:40 AM.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by MuniMan26 View Post
    I suggest you find and take a wilderness first aid class. Your first aid kit is an important element but a somewhat minor after thought in respect to the knowledge that you need to have to handle an emergency situation. You can have the best kit offered but if you don't know how to use what you got its useless.
    This is great advice. I was building with a guy that had fairly extensive wilderness rescue training, and a guy who was actually riding got hurt near us. At first it looked pretty serious, but in reality it was just a heavy bleeding cut, not even a critical bleeder, probably not even requiring stitches, but I would never have called it that way. I was ready to get some cell signal and get the guy out of there, but leave it to a guy with training. He was able to stop the bleeding before I even had my wits solidly enough about me to get my hands on my phone. Some gauze and some tape, and the rider walked out on his own and went to a walk in clinic to get the cut cleaned up. I was impressed enough that I've said ever since, I was going to take a class, but I haven't gotten it done yet.

Dirt Monkey
    Apr 2012
    Good point about first aid training. We work at urban parks which are no further than 1/4 a mile from the nearest road and with ems response times within an hour (long term care not a requirement). Being prepared for time sensitive life threating injuries is my goal. I did find these guides from the Red Cross (WFA pocket guide and long form WFA guide) which I'll be studying and including in the kit. There's even a basic first aid kit supply list in the document. I've looked into local Wilderness first aid classes and the closest are a 2-3 hour drive and a significant time/money commitment.

Seems reasonable to have supplies for common advanced injuries, even if one doesn't know how to use them. There is always a possibility someone in the group or out on the trails will have that knowledge (as noted in the post from Cotharyus).

All fat, all the time.
    Even a standard 1st aid class like offered at red Cross is helpful, too many people have never taken a course like that, or even have basic first aid kits.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Yup classes ftw. When I started spending a lot of time out in the wilderness in my late teens I signed myself up for a 10 day WFR course. So valuable.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I've been contemplating WFA training lately as I have been leaving more shop-sponsored rides and feel I should be prepared for more situations than I am now.

When I was doing a lot of trail work in central New York, we could just about do a chainless bike run down streets into town (to either my house or the hospital) if necessary so we got used to being woefully underprepared.

That being the case, our usual first aid was this:

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Go ride your bike.

saddlemeat
    A couple ace bandages can be handy for serious injuries but training and wits about oneself is the best. I find some burly bandaids and ointment for minor injuries is more useful on a day to day basis.
    I ride with the best dogs.