Facking Motos....- Mtbr.com
    Cleavage Of The Tetons

Facking Motos....

So, here in the Big Hole's, (Idaho), where there a few hundred miles of good Moto-friendly trails, we have a small issue.

Me and a group of friends have built ~25 miles of tight, flowy singletrack. We designed it specifically for MTB's, with bridges, really tight turns, etc. The FS has unofficially adopted the network, and put up two 'Non Motorized' signs, but there are a dozen trailheads/intersections, and the local moto crowd have been ignoring the 'closure'.

Does anyone have any good examples of educating moto users to the fact that A, these trails are considered non-moto, and B., there are still hundreds of miles of Moto trails right in the area?

Of course there are some in the group that want to get militant and confrontational, but I know that will simply backfire.

We are working with the local FS for more signage, but these aren't 'system trails' yet, so they are a bit reluctant.

Any good advice?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    I sure hope the logs strewn across the doubletrack is educational.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Think in terms of the differences between a mountain bike and a motocross bike. The obvious one is weight. You can pick up a mtn bike and lift it over an obstacle but less easily a motorcycle. See if you can add obstacles to the trail that are very difficult to get a motocross bike over. Maybe a large log all of the way across the trail at about waist height. Breaks up the flow but stops the moto damage. Make sure you do it someplace with good sight lines, where it is impossible to ride around but easy to turn around. You want to make it easy to turn back rather than having several guys trying to lift their motorcycles over.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    These trails are in high desert/meadow as well as woods...and obstacles that we could create would be instantly gone around.
    The solution that I am seeking precedent for is more social/political in nature...physical means simply won't be effective.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You might want to post your question on the Colorado - Western Slope forum because I know they had this same problem in similiar terrain in the Fruita area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try to work together vs. against, and not use that F word in their presence.

Our club aligned with the snowmobile/ATV club at country government level and we got our trails expansion, and the big $ of the moto group will build a bridge for all across a creek. It was clear to the public land managers that the the majority at the public hearings were a sum-total of people who work, have money, and a track record of success vs. scattered whiners whining about different micro issues. It proved the value of just showing up and the value of working together. So different, but mutual beer drinking hedonist gear heads both succeeded.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yep, work together.

And whatever will keep cyclists off hiking only trails, will also keep motorcycles off of non-motorized trails. I'm not talking about obstacles, but I'm suggesting that you ask yourself what it is that would keep you honest and staying off hiking trails. After you find out what that is, the same thing will work with the motorcyclists.

Wandervans

Travel Management

I am pretty sure this area has already gone throught the planning process that limits motorized vehicals to designated routes only. Maybe approach the forest service and ask them to enforce trail access in this method. Ask them to put up signs that say "Not a Designated Trail Closed to all Motorized Use"

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Beer is the key!

Might sound funny at first:

Coming from all three clubs ATV, Moto and MTB I can tell you I have gained more wth setting up a meeting and offering to educate the other group then offering to buy BEER! Beer at the meeting is a good start! Of course everyone is of legal drinking age and not nuts. if your dealing with total maniacs then forget it!

Making friends and showing them what you need in the design of a trail while they can ride near but not on your's. Golden thing is to get some converts who want to try MTBing, but never had the opportunity. Get them to help build alternate trails, expect to round up a few spare Mt Bikes and let'em have at it!

You might try to show them your interested in learning how to ride Moto or ATV!

I have ATV guys who will die for me! A little hopping around riding some Bicycle trails a few nose wheelies and flip turns and I was GOD to them, they were hooked!
    LC

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Allicat, thats lame to advocate harming someone. a friend was once Motoing in that very area, had ridden a (legal) trail the day before, someone put a boulder where he couldn't see it and suffered a severe crash with multiple broken bones. Putting stuff in someone's way is childish and only furthers the compications with different groups. What could potentially hurtingsomeone accomplish?
    I have friends that DH, xc, and Moto in the very areas of which you speak. A lot of the moto guys are concerned about their reputations with other users, and try VERY hard to be considerate to others. However, people that do ignore usage signs, probably don't care, realize they are pissing someone off, and short of a ticket will just keep doing it. You could always post a sign explaining what you just said to us, though its possible they wont stop to read it. I always thought Moto's buffed out single track for MTBers, tho I can see how tight turns could get ruined. Can you learn to live with the few guys that do ride where they're not supposed to?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    oh I just talked to a friend that moto's in the Big Holes, and he insisted that ANY trail over there is fair game. I explained that, no, these guys built these trails for Mtb. , got the OK from land managers to post signs...and he would have none of it, insisted no such thing existed. Just FYI. This guy, he's likes to go far and wide, so I'm sure he's never even been to your trails, and probably thus hadn't have a chance to see the signs...but just to let you know the level of awareness, cuz this is a guy that uses that area a lot.

Members who have read this thread: 0