day dreaming about building new trail.- Mtbr.com
    I need skills
    Jul 2004

day dreaming about building new trail.

I'm wondering how many of you entertain yourselves in Winter by daydreaming about trails you're going to build or improve once the snow is gone?

On days I can't xc ski I'm mentally planning miles of single track. Some of it is already flagged and some is on ground I've never even hiked through. I've got a couple miles flagged and in my minds eye the trail is already there and I'm riding it. I can envision the satisfaction from the effort needed to build the planned switchbacks on the enormous hill we'll be working on. I can picture doing wheelie drops of boulders I'll never be able to get on top of in real life.

Some days I fire up my topo software and plan where I need to hike for potential new trail. I can foresee difficult climbs, roller coaster tracks, areas to avoid, areas that just look "curious" from a topo stand point. My imagination goes there and I am excited by all the potentially good routes.

I'm even preparing the sales pitch to the land managers......" by doing this we are creating more access, opportunities, the trails will be more sustainable..." they never turn me down.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I do this type of daydreaming incessantly. With Google Earth, Terraserver, local 7.5 maps, and my own photos.

It kills the time between powder days!

I also like to go and skin and flag potential routes( as well as our recently built trails) on approach skis...but man, things look different with 6' of snow on the ground!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

I need skills
    Jul 2004

this is what I was afraid of.

Ridit, apparently you and I are nuts. I was certain there' d be others. Oh well.

mtbr member
    i do that all the time. i am headin out to hike my new trail and fin ish the layout for it. i can get a ton of help but this is gonna be MY build . hopefull to be able to ride it early spring.

mtbr member
    I'll chime in and admit to it. It all started with enhancements, a reroute over a roller here, a shaved fallen log there. Then one day you find yourself thumbing through IMBA's guide to Sweet Singletrack for the umpteenth time and realize your addicted. Thoughts like "Wow, that could really be a great feature with only about 8 manhours of moving rock" start to seem sane. You find yourself buying Lee Macormack's pump track book even though you have no where to put one, just in case. You can distinguish a small stream from a trail on google earth.

Hi, I'm 9.8m/s/s, and I have a problem (and a really sweet new trail)
    Last edited by 9.8m/s/s; 02-17-2007 at 04:17 PM.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

In Arizona we buld trail year round

Here in Arizona we build new trails year round. January/February is peak time for building trails in the low desert, where by May it will be too hot to work after mid-morning. We move into the foothills to build our trails in late spring and early fall. During the peak of the summer season, when it is too hot in the desert to even be outside in the daylight, we are building trails at 7000 to 8000 feet in the mountains. The only break in trailbuilding comes during the Holiday season, when people want to be outside building trails but their families won't let them. But even then you can sneak out of the house to do a little trail layout or maintenance.

Jan 2005

not alone

you are not alone. I cant stand not riding or working on something. I am buying xc skiis next year so i dont run into this problem again. I am going friggin nuts with all this snow.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    I dream about building trail when I'm driving down the road and see a cool piece of property or when I'm riding my bike and see a different line. Like those in AZ, we can build year round here in Austin, too. Just today, my business partners and I and three volunteers built over 1,300 feet of new trail. Of course, the Dingo helped a bit.

Wendell,

It looks like I'll be in your neck of the woods for six months this year. Maybe you can come see what we're doing, and I can come down to see the trails you ride.

D

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Are you working at Tamarack?
    I will for sure come on out.
    If you have work for a week, I'd be happy to come dig!

You are invited anytime here, we have some mind blowing stuff going on....
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Are you working at Tamarack?
    I will for sure come on out.
    If you have work for a week, I'd be happy to come dig!

You are invited anytime here, we have some mind blowing stuff going on....
    Yes, though the project is not mine. If I go, I'll be subcontracting. I'll know more when I get back from Reno.

If you have work for Ryan and Susan, let us know. We bid on a 52 mile trail maintenance project in the Clearwater Nat'l. Forest that is scheduled to take three months. That's what R & S will do when I'm in ID if we get the bid.

D

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just saw this TR and couln't resist. I also have this problem.
    We have about 7 miles of single track that we have built in the last 3 years. It's on private property and I am constantly thinking about and making changes and expansions. We also caught pump track fever last year and I do the same thing with that. (new lines, berms, and doubles)
    Just made some improvements to the trail yesterday and it got me pumped all over again.
    Winter in Oklahoma is usually the time to build trails but too much ice this winter.

Tim.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    Yes, though the project is not mine. If I go, I'll be subcontracting. I'll know more when I get back from Reno.

If you have work for Ryan and Susan, let us know. We bid on a 52 mile trail maintenance project in the Clearwater Nat'l. Forest that is scheduled to take three months. That's what R & S will do when I'm in ID if we get the bid.

D

which trail in Clearwater country would that be?

Hey, we could have a N Idaho trail builders get-together!!

~formica

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    which trail in Clearwater country would that be?

Hey, we could have a N Idaho trail builders get-together!!

~formica
    There were several mentioned in the bid package, most of them numbered, if I remember correctly. I can't think of what they were, though. Sorry!

Are you in ID? I'm going to be in Tamarack sometime in May working.

Dewayne

Don't worry, be happy!
    I've been known to spend several weekends over the summer in McCall, just for grins.

fountainheadproject.org

Wakefield Park: Phase III

I can honestly say that I've gotten my trail building fix for the entire year!!!!

A week ago today IMBA Trail Solutions finished a project out at Wakefield Park in Northern Virginia. I took about 5 days off of work, helped with some of the trail design, moved about 100 metric tons of rock and stone and basically played in the dirt for the entire time.

After it was finished, we got a really cool climb complete with 4 out slopped switchbacks and a slalom downhill run with 12 banked turns. I went out yesterday and there was a line to ride down!

I posted some pictures up on FLIKR. Note that I did not personally take them all and that they posted in the reverse order in which I took them. So the first picture will be a rider on the finished project and the last picture is what the hill looked like before we started.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice project......not too keen on the no helmet riding or the phographer in the bucket pix that usually could end up in an OSHA movie. Nice trail work and looks fast and flowy. Ride safe!
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

fountainheadproject.org
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb777
    Nice project......not too keen on the no helmet riding or the phographer in the bucket pix that usually could end up in an OSHA movie. Nice trail work and looks fast and flowy. Ride safe!
    Unfortunately there is not a helmet policy for Mountain Bikes at Fairfax County Park Authority Parks.

I would tell you the policy reason, but you'd never believe me and would accuse me of making such things up. The current Park Manager is lobbying hard for one to be implemented at his Park, but so far it's been a no go.

Although not recommended, the no helmet folks aren't doing anything illegal (Stupid - Maybe)

L

mtbr member
    Jeeezzy....We have a state law for kids under 16 wearing helmets and now the parks we ride at, at least in Broward County have waivers to sign if you're under 17 and want to ride the trails! It's really a good thing although it sounds so restrictive because of the lawyers and frivilous law suits...and even the worthy ones rule the roost down here in sunny South Florida. That being said.....most of our trails are very technical. The helmets only make sense...unless you don't have a sense of worth for your noggin'!! Come to think of it...all of the paarks we ride in including the State Parks require helmets on all trails.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

Members who have read this thread: 0