Colorado land managers not so sure about ebikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Colorado land managers not so sure about ebikes

Here is an article with some substance regarding land managers scheptisism around the issues with ebikes in Colorado. They seem to share and legitimize a lot of the same concerns many have here about the additional speed ebikes bring.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/as-e-bikes-gain-popularity-land-managers-ponder-future/

mtbr member
    That was last year. Since then a lot of things have changed in Colorado, in the right direction for the Ebike community. The state parks were already open, but one major accelerator was when the Jefferson county open space managers, after much deliberation/study/public input decided to open all of their park to ebikes (that's a lot of riding near Denver). Looking at how many ebikes are in inventory / sold today in some of my favorite bike shop around town, I would guess that sales are 3 or 4 times what they were last year at the same period, when i had to order a bike from out of state.

Moderator Moderator
    It's a provisional allowance in the several CO state parks that allow mtbs. At the time that decsion was made, they didn't know there was a difference inbetween the 250w emtbs being sold and the 750w emtbs the law allows. So, it'll be under review while they see what happens.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I still don't get it. Someone going uphill at 15 MPH vs. 10 MPH is much less of a threat than someone going 20 or 25 MPH in the opposite direction. No matter which direction they are going, the rider is responsible for being able to avoid obstacles in their path. If the person going 20 MPH can't control their bike and stop within their sight path or avoid something in their way, they shouldn't be going 20 MPH. It ain't rocket science. Add to that the fact that someone going uphill at 15 MPH can stop in a shorter distance than someone going downhill at 15 MPH, let alone 20 or 25 MPH, and I think the real issue is people going downhill too fast in situations where they can't control their bike.

Let's say a rider is going 20 MPH downhill and comes around a corner into a 100 foot long straight section of trail. 50 feet away is a hiker standing in the trail. At 20 MPH you cover about 30 feet per second. The rider has 1.7 seconds to stop or avoid the hiker.

Now, let's say instead of a hiker, it is a rider going 10 MPH. The downhill rider has about 1.05 seconds to avoid the uphill rider. If the uphill rider is going 15 MPH, the rider has about .9 seconds, or .15 seconds less. The person going 15 MPH is a whole 5 feet closer. If someone is riding a trail with uphill traffic with a .15 second margin, I think they should rethink their riding.

Frame Building Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Now, let's say instead of a hiker, it is a rider going 10 MPH. The downhill rider has about 1.05 seconds to avoid the uphill rider. If the uphill rider is going 15 MPH, the rider has about .9 seconds, or .15 seconds less. The person going 15 MPH is a whole 5 feet closer. If someone is riding a trail with uphill traffic with a .15 second margin, I think they should rethink their riding.
    5 feet is a ton when you're having a 2-way traffic interaction, actually.

I agree that the onus is always on the DH rider, as we all know. If uphill traffic goes significantly faster, though, that will mean safe speeds going down will drop proportionately. I'm not sure even e-bike riders want a world in which you need to go <10mph on the downhills to be safe.

More directional trails and better trail design would help a lot but nobody seems to want to talk about (of help fund) that.

-Walt