Cheyenne Mtn. State Park still CLOSED.- Mtbr.com

Jul 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Cheyenne Mtn. State Park still CLOSED.

Cheyenne Mtn. State Park, which is right next to Ft. Carson, is closed until late fall of this year. This is what the lady told me when I called the park's info number.

According to the park's website, it should've been open summer of 2005, as its been closed since winter of 2004. Evidently, they are building a welcome center and other amenities.

The off-limits evidently does not apply to equestrians, however!

I rode to the trailhead yesterday, and the gates were closed with an "closed to the public, govern. property" sign on it. Yet on my way back home on the perimeter trail inside Ft. Carson that runs along Hwy 115, I could see into the park, and some of its larger trails.
    And lo!..... there was a trailer there with the stinky beasts and their owners ambling about!

The Medicine Wheel MTB Organization built singletrack there in 2003/4, with more planned for 2005; the park's website touts this as one of its attractions, and yet they keep it closed while a welcome center and restrooms are being built????

Cheyenne Mtn. Webpage

This is the Medicine Wheel page regarding their trail-building efforts in the Park.

Medicine Wheel & Cheyenne Mtn Webpage

Time is not a road.
    What became of this? I've heard of the trail system but never heard about anyone riding there...this must be why. Could it have been park rangers out on the horses?

Is this a State Park project or other? Just wondering. I always like coming down to the Springs and would like to ride some of the other trails around. Seems to me that after one or two years, the trails that were built would be severely overgrown! They need some love.

Members who have read this thread: 0