Chest/Hip Harness for Moving Rock?- Mtbr.com
    trail gnome

Chest/Hip Harness for Moving Rock?

Hi,

Occasionally, I find I am moving 50+ pound rocks longish distances by myself over uneven ground, where a wheelbarrow, truck dolly, or hoist is not a viable solution, rolling or flipping the rock takes too long and is too exhausting, using a rope puller or winch takes too long, a mechanized solution is not allowed by the landowner, and relocating the trail to where the rocks are is not an option.

I can pick up and cradle these rocks against my chest and carry them (don't worry; I am lifting with my knees and quite capable of carrying the weight without putting out my back), but my arms tire doing this. If I had a carrying harness that had a pouch or sling in front that would cradle the rock and transfer more of the weight from my arms to the hips/shoulders, this would help.

I have Googled, and checked Amazon, but I haven't found exactly what I am looking for. I see lots of lifting straps that are intended to be used on furniture with another person, that aren't suitable.

I could use a barrel backpack. This would transfer the weight to my hips and shoulders, which is what I need, but loading it up, putting it on, and standing up, and doing the opposite at the destination is a hassle.

Is anyone aware of a product that does what I need?

• Heavy-duty hip/shoulder harness.
    • Pouch or sling in front to load rock into.
    • Transfers most of weight to hips/shoulders.
    • Fast to load and unload.
    • Can be used solo.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

saddlemeat
    A pack frame with the rock lashed to it. This one looks cool...

https://uspatriottactical.com/soc-pa...gaAi2VEALw_wcB
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member

K&K
    I use a foam pad on my shoulder. Once you get it up there, you can go a surprising distance this way. Stopping for a break is problematic when alone. A hillside helps, if you set it down uphill, getting back on your feet is easier.

I'm not sure what this one weighs, yours may be bigger, but it was one of the biggest I moved over a distance of more than a few hundred yards.

Chest/Hip Harness for Moving Rock?-18953101_884571081689865_938944934796171872_n.jpg

K&K
    HEY! That's my post! LOL Too funny.

K&K
    I actually think this is way better than my suggestion. The packboard idea that is...

trail gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    A pack frame with the rock lashed to it. This one looks cool...

https://uspatriottactical.com/soc-pa...gaAi2VEALw_wcB
    That might work if I could mount it backwards with the shelf-thingy in front and rest the rock on the shelf-thingy.

If I were to strap the rock to it and put it on my back, I would run into the same issues that I have with my barrel backpack: the rock is on the ground, the backpack is on the ground, now I have to get it up onto my back. And when I get to the destination, I have to do the opposite. It's not impossible, just awkward and tiring.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

Professional Crastinator
    Not a harness, but I am waiting for our crew to purchase this:

Name:  999999-035286292429.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  35.5 KB

Note that there are knock-offs. This one carries 350#.

Lifting straps have also proven pretty useful in lifting and carrying awkward stuff. Another guy made a 2-person chain basket. If the chain basket had a belt, one person could carry a lot with it.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    Have you considered a sled?

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    50# rock is quite small. If one is going to use rock to create features or choke points, one needs to use rock that one person cannot move, or it will be moved.

There's a good reason why construction workers do not strap or attach concrete blocks or 94# sacks of cement to their bodies. If you slip, you want to be able to release that weight as fast as possible before gravity wins. Either get more people to help, or build closer to available rocks. Under 100# you should be able to place fairly easily.

Here's are go to assistant, we can safely move 500# plus granite boulders with this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Best thing I have seen or used is a pair of truck tire chains with clips at each end to allow a pair of strong (5' - 8') steel tubes to attach. This requires two, four or sometimes even six people to move a rock, We have carried rocks upwards of 500 lbs with these. Pretty bomb proof setup too.

Hitching a ride
    For these light weight rocks, how about a drag setup? The Aztecs used something similar since they lacked draft animals. A framed backpack attached with 1" webbing to a piece of galvanized steel sled with hooks for securing the rock. Better than rolling it because the natural drag keeps it from running away from you.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_alley View Post
    Best thing I have seen or used is a pair of truck tire chains with clips at each end to allow a pair of strong (5' - 8') steel tubes to attach. This requires two, four or sometimes even six people to move a rock, We have carried rocks upwards of 500 lbs with these. Pretty bomb proof setup too.
    Our Spartacus is pretty similar to your setup and ability to move 500# plus rock safely. A lot of the areas where we work are habitat preserves, and using techniques that minimize habitat destruction (ie. dragging) is something land managers appreciate.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The pack frame looks like a killer idea. We have blown out a couple of old backpacks trying to haul rocks up the trail. I also like the foldable/canvas wheelbarrow, cool idea.