Carsonite, Decals, and Signage Resources- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Carsonite, Decals, and Signage Resources

I recently helped start my local IMBA Chapter and I'm the trail steward for a couple of miles of trail near my house. Now that my once rogue trails are about to be recognized and legitimized by the city (woohoo!) I'll need to get some legit signage.

The main trail is essentially a "green" that rides along the crest of a small ridge, with short alt-lines that would be considered "blue" that dip down and up the slopes for some whoop-dee-doo features, but eventually climb up to merge with the main green line. There are about 4-5 of these alt lines that merge back up with the main green line, so I'll need about 8-10 markers since it's a 2-way trail.

I'm hoping to use Carsonite markers to denote that to the left is an intermediate line and to the right is an easy line, but I'm having a hard time finding a supplier that has trail decals (green=easy, blue=int) as well as the other basic formatted National Forest decals (mtn biker, hiker, and arrows). I believe they are all 3x3.

Can any of you more experienced trail stewards point me in the right direction for these markers so I don't spend all day trying to find a supplier that has all of the supplies necessary for these basic signs? Also any other resources/advice for trail head signs would be welcomed! Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Going with a trail head kiosk & map?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Yes, but I was going to have that printed on a large aluminum sheet. Any local sign shop can make one. I'm just looking for alt-line markers and trail segment markers using the Carsonite. It looks like Rockart has everything I need.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If you want custom trail names you can call Carsonite directly and get a quote.

If I had a sticker here with me, I could give you the 3M code for the adhesive/vinyl type and you can have a local printer make them. You have to get an outdoor plastic adhesive that is somewhat special.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Our club did a multi-route trail marking project several years ago. We found the posts at http://www.quantummarkers.com/Marker_Info.html . We had the stickers printed locally. The printer had the 3M special outdoor adhesive materials. They also could make the custom text strips we needed. They made perfect copies of the land manager logo. We used those where restrictive markers were placed to keep trail users out of an archery area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Rockart will also print custom stickers for you. They'll even install them for you if you'd prefer to spend money vs time. Probably best if you have many identical stickers, but you can get a quote from them and your local shop.