Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Canycom Drive Belt source

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  aero901 
#1 ·
Any good leads, or cross-reference on part numbers for a drive belt for a Canycom BFP 602? Our model has the Honda motor; not finding any luck with local parts shops.

#3 ·
Subscribed. Haven't needed one yet for ours but it will be my job to make it happen when it does. Reality is, as Cotharyus suggests, my experience after 30 years in maintaining my own businesses fleet of forestry equipment like massive chippers, stump grinders, saws, trucks, yada-yada, the key is having a good supplier like one that deals heavily in Gates equipment and like a bearing or many other really not-so-proprietary items, have them measured out and cross-referenced....then get 2 or 3. GOD, I used to go through $200 Gates Polychain belts on one of my stump grinders. I had a regional supplier called Kaman that could source anything by the above means. Not sure they're around these days, still since I've been out of it.

On another note, our local State Park where we do all the MTB ridden trail construction /maintenance, they have 3 Canycoms, two of which (maybe 3 now) are down due to some issue with the transmissions. It's pretty obvious that those charged with dealing with the issues are really pretty clueless to what's wrong so off in the corner they get pushed and sit as they try to find a vendor that is willing to wrench on them...and that doesn't seem to be happening for some reason but I don't now how hard they have tried. It just has me wondering if these gizmos are tough to get critical support when needed? Anybody have experience in this arena. Personally, I'd be willing to tear a tranny down and rebuild but in this case, State Parks requires it be a registered vendor...blah...blah in order to satisfy their requirements.

Our own machine is only a few years old without a tremendous amount of hours and I now charged with making these things available and maintained for our non-profit so I'm just trying to garner as much info for when the inevitable happens.

#4 ·
For those following along at home, I didn't have any luck cross-referencing part numbers to source a belt locally. Canycom referred me to Track Machinery, the US importer. I spoke with Al, who was helpful in getting a belt sourced for me. I ordered two in order to have a backup replacement. Probably should have ordered belts for the hydraulic lift pump as well.

These are handy little machine, but options are limited in sourcing parts. If you have a local supplier who is willing to spend some time cross-referencing measurements, you might be find a more commonly available Gates replacement belt.

Tranmission issues would be something else altogether. Track Machinery would likely help with parts support, but as far as finding a "registered vendor," I don't think you are going to have much luck with that. Maybe wait for the State Parks to sell their non-functioning old ones, then repair them?

#5 ·
For those following along at home, I didn't have any luck cross-referencing part numbers to source a belt locally. Canycom referred me to Track Machinery, the US importer. I spoke with Al, who was helpful in getting a belt sourced for me. I ordered two in order to have a backup replacement. Probably should have ordered belts for the hydraulic lift pump as well.

These are handy little machine, but options are limited in sourcing parts. If you have a local supplier who is willing to spend some time cross-referencing measurements, you might be find a more commonly available Gates replacement belt.

Tranmission issues would be something else altogether. Track Machinery would likely help with parts support, but as far as finding a "registered vendor," I don't think you are going to have much luck with that. Maybe wait for the State Parks to sell their non-functioning old ones, then repair them?
Interesting. Thanks for the update. One idea - you might take some measurements on the new belts and hit Gates website with those measurements and see if they have something. If it's a "standard" sized belt, they should. Occasionally manufacturers will try to use an odd sized belt to lock people into their distribution/sales network. I'd just be curious to know which case we're dealing with.

#6 ·
Did you get all your belts? I've been running solid for 2 weeks + on a new 2 mile build and we're using our BFP602 constantly and adding up hours on long hauls of peeler core. I have a State Parks BP416 at my use, too. This week is a big push to get nearly finished so I brought them home after Saturday's work day and serviced them both yesterday and dragging them out and back to work today. Belts are still in good shape but I'm seeking spares this week along with a new set of tracks so I'll be trying Track Machines for a source. My machine is well placarded with belt specs and finding Mitsuboshi belts hasn't been too bad but many of them are out of country.

Had anyone approached the steering clutches for service/replacement? Ours is seeing some abuse as many users just don't get tuned into learning to finesse the machine and anticipate turns. Clutching is always very hard and the machine is chattering in turns. When this job is done, I think I'm going big and diving into it to make sure we're not tearing it up unnecessarily. I want to see about sourcing a factory service manual.

On another note, one of our long, long time members and custom bike fabricator built us some racks to haul peeler core on the side of the machine. It adds width but keeps the CG down low and is much safer to transport so much weight. We've hauled a pallet's-worth already. I think I have a pic I'll try and post here...

#7 ·
Canycom was the only source I found for the belts. I checked at several NAPA stores, and other parts stores;none of them were able to come up with anything remotely close. It appears to be an odd dimension in that is much thicker than most belts of its length.

From what I've seen, the steering "clutches" are more like "brakes," in that it is basically a metal rod that locks into a rotating slot, thereby stopping the track. The chattering is most noticeable when you try to ease it around a turn v. clamping the handle hard so the track locks and the machine pivots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.