Can't win for lose'n City dug up my track!- Mtbr.com
    K&K
    At our afternoon practice today I discovered that someone, presumably the City, just dug out one of my new large new features that took two weekends to dig.

I have permission from the principal, the CFO, the Superintendent of the school. I contacted the City Parks and Rec a year and a half ago and was told the school district can "do anything they want". I called again a couple of months ago to try once again to set up a meeting to coordinate with the city, the assistant director refused to respond to a phone message and email request, despite an email cc from the Director telling him to expect my call. A personal visit and another email request went unanswered.

Just really pissed. My Principal is going to bat for me, we'll see what happens... Just venting
    Last edited by ki5ka; 03-12-2019 at 03:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Sorry man that sucks. So hard to see your work demolished. Unfortunately my meeting with the cows was rejected by the rancher
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

K&K
    lol. Thanks for the laugh

mtbr member
    Curious what the feature was and was it maybe not something that should be at a school for liability reasons?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

K&K
    It is an 8' hill. A techy climb with an off-camber turn at the top; not a jump. It seems the intent was not to remove the feature, rather, it was to look for a watering controller. The side of it was dug out. (They took the dirt away too!) I'm pretty sure it's the City, not the school. It is the City that controls the watering on the field. And, I have permission from the Superintendent all the way down to the Grounds Supervisor and the Principal too. I have reviewed progress with the Grounds Supervisor several times so it would be particularly puzzling if he would do it without talking to me.

There may in fact be a control box down there, there is one that is "missing", but if so it is placed contrary to the pattern of the rest of the boxes and it was already buried. And, as far as I can see, they didn't find one. I've been trying to get the Assistant Director of Parks and Rec to come out and review the system to avoid exactly this, but for the past year and a half, he has ignored my phone messages and emails, even when his director gave me his number and told him to expect my call.

My Principal is on it. I'm curious to see what she finds out. Might actually be a good thing in the long run, maybe I'll finally get that meeting with the City!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Sorry and good luck!

K&K
    Update: My principal is awesome! Just had a visit from the districts Grounds Supervisor who was quite impressed with how upset my Principal is about this Seems that it is indeed City workers. Still need to get confirmation, but it looks like they were not looking for the water valve box, simply using the hill as material to fill in eroded areas of the field berm. After the Grounds Super went to talk to them, they made an effort to return some material to the hill and stomped it flat with their boots. LOL Gonna go out and try some repair.

K&K
    Looks like the City guys tried to make up for it. They found some fill (also from my trail, but at least a flat part) and dumped it on top then stomped it down with their feet. Then they watered it down and also did a round two sides of the track with a water truck! Not that either one really helps, but the gesture is very encouraging.

K&K
    So the material they put back into the hole in the side of my feature is mostly leaf-mold. Absolute disaster, the feature is now unridable and I'm unsure how to fix it. Guess I'll try to mix it all together and see if it will compact. Still, they tried, and that is important.

They also took fill from another unfinished feature that didn't look like anything, but in fact represented a lot of forethought. I needed to move dirt for the second feature before I completed the first feature because the first feature would prohibit me from getting the backhoe in the place to move the dirt for the second feature. Make sense? They saw that nice pile of dirt and decided that would work great for filling in the dirt they had stolen from it in the first place. OMG.

Overall I'm hopeful and determined to be positive. Lots of support from the school side of things. Just maybe this will be the impetus that gets the City on-board. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    You need to get out there with the groundskeepers! Get them on bikes if you can.
    (Trick being of course to correct them without making them feel incompetent... new skills lesson for them? Maybe they'll help you!)

K&K
    The City Parks and Rec A D is coming to the school on Monday to discuss the trail. Grounds Super for the school district is coming too. Making progress I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    The City Parks and Rec A D is coming to the school on Monday to discuss the trail. Grounds Super for the school district is coming too. Making progress I think.
    Awesome! Way to stick with it and get’er done!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    This should help. It's really hard to deal with things like this when the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. You got permission from the people that mattered, but not everyone was in the loop. In fact, it sounds like some of them were willfully staying out of the loop. That sort of thing has caused a lot of problems for a lot of people in your position over the years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I hope it goes well. Meeting with city people always makes me worry....

K&K
    Quote Originally Posted by karthur View Post
    I hope it goes well. Meeting with city people always makes me worry....
    I know, right? And the $1,000 that was verbally promised from the school district CFO for material just evaporated yesterday when I tried to tap it for tools instead of material. Not sure what will happen if I try to get dirt now. Anyway, it is all getting more defined and concrete, so maybe that's alright.