Can IMBA Help?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Can IMBA Help?

Freeriding Feline

New question here. Can IMBA Help?

There's an amazing park by my house that would make for some excellent riding.
    It's currently closed to bikes, but if I gather pictures and information could IMBA help me have it become bike friendly?
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

May 2004
    i'm sure imba reps/staff monitor this site. i would hower put more information out so you get a quicker response.

local land management:
    etc.

is there a local club?????

good luck

joe
    pa imba rep

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKat7
    There's an amazing park by my house that would make for some excellent riding.
    It's currently closed to bikes, but if I gather pictures and information could IMBA help me have it become bike friendly?
    Start by approaching your local mountain bike club to see if they have a relationship with the land owner (City? County? State?) If so, ask if they've broached the subject of trails at that park. If so, find out what happened to the discussion. If not, find out who the land manager is and go from there.

If there's no club in your area, find out if there's enough interest to start one. You'll most likely get a better response if you represent a number of cyclists and not just one potential trail user.

I hope this helps. Oh, and peruse the links on IMBA's web site for more help.

Dewayne

BGR / MCM #311
    This is similar to how our local club was started. There were two trails in a local park that were in danger of being tilled up and closed by the land manager. The trails were rogue built and not "authorized". A few of us contacted the land manager and informed him that we would like to know what we could do to keep the trails open and have them designated as "hike and bike" only.

From there, we started petitions at all the area bike shops and used the petitions to show there was an interest from many people to keep these trails open. We used the petition names and addresses to mail out a questionairre asking who might be interested in forming an IMBA affiliated club and the rest just snowballed from there!!

With help from IMBA, PAMBA now has 85 paid members, stewards trails in 5 area parks, and brings more people into our sport through group rides, races, festivals, and other social events.

And those two trails that started it all?? Authorized, open, and still "hike and bike" only!!! PAMBA performs maintanence there about 4 times a riding season in order to keep the land manager happy and his staff spread less thin!

I hope this gives you some ideas for your situation.

Terry
    Central Illinois IMBA Rep.
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

Members who have read this thread: 0