Bike Repair Stands - Best Deal?- Mtbr.com
    Dirt Monkey
    Apr 2012

Bike Repair Stands - Best Deal?

We're looking to buy and install a couple bike repair stands at local trail heads.

The units I've seen online look very similar. Almost like they are produced by the same factory and then sold by different companies.

Anyone have info on getting around the middle man to cut down costs? Very expensive for what they are. Pricing is around $1200 for one stand w/ tools and a pump and not sure if that includes shipping...

Any other tips/experiences/lessons learned for those who have gone through the process would be much appreciated!

mtbr member
    For quick trail head repairs/adjustments...how about just build something out of pressure treated lumber and some black pipe that you can hang a bike from the seat? Or concrete a 4x4 into the ground and bolt a bike clamp to it.

Name:  parktool_prs_4_w1_11_m.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  15.2 KB
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

Dirt Monkey
    Apr 2012
    I've thought about that... And then just cabling some tools to it. The pump is where I wasn't able to figure out a good DIY solution and will probably be the most desired/used feature.

mtbr member
    This is what we have at one of the local trails but also with a pump attached....

Bike Repair Stands - Best Deal?-1208923d1532110380-new-skypark-bike-park-info-q-parktool.jpg
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    We installed 10 of these so far around our County.

https://youtu.be/P02WpanhSHg

Do not install at a trailhead. If you do, a55holes will steal all your tools. Install the stand where it is too far away for tweakers to bother to travel. We had to remove a workstation and relocate it, lesson learned.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    This is what we have at one of the local trails but also with a pump attached....

We have used the same Park Tool box, without the stand, directly bolted to trailhead kiosks. No pump.

As for cutting down on the cost, ask your local bike shop if they will donate or sell you at their cost. One of the shop owners that I approached was more than happy to donate one. He said that he has people asking for bike donations all the time. But the repair stand was one of the few things the he was ever asked to donate that can serve all of his customers and the community as a whole. He was quite happy with that. And the Land Manager had no problem with one of his bike shop stickers getting put on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Judging from the trail-side repair stands that I have seen on the trail, they need to be over built and substantial to hold up to the abuse they see over the years. So I think the cost is justified if you want a long term reliable stand.

Dirt Monkey
    Apr 2012
    Luckily, we don't have a big problem with vandalism at most trails where these would be placed. And making repairs every few years wouldn't be a huge deal if initial costs were a lot less. So far, it sounds like the most likely items to be damaged/stolen are the tools which would not change with a cheaper stand option. Any experience with the durability of pumps?

K&K
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot View Post
    Do not install at a trailhead. If you do, a55holes will steal all your tools. ... lesson learned.
    Yep!

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by aero901 View Post
    Luckily, we don't have a big problem with vandalism at most trails where these would be placed. And making repairs every few years wouldn't be a huge deal if initial costs were a lot less. So far, it sounds like the most likely items to be damaged/stolen are the tools which would not change with a cheaper stand option. Any experience with the durability of pumps?
    No one has a "big problem with vandalism at most trails-------" if there is not a tool stand to vandalize.

As far as pumps, we have experienced one pump head issue out of the 10 stations we have installed.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

aka bOb
    We have several from this company installed around town.

https://www.sarisinfrastructure.com/...epair-stations