Backyard features suitable for both MTB and cross-country ski- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Backyard features suitable for both MTB and cross-country ski

Have been giving some thought to the idea of some type of pump track or collection of features in our backyard.

The catch is that I'd also like to use the same area for cross-country skiing in the winter.

We have an flat area ~70x100 where I could put something around the edges. There's another 100ft or so length partly taken up by a workshop that would be usable for skiing in the winter that needs to stay flat (I have a workshop with a cement slab in front and need to be able to drive up to load / unload lumber).

My general thought is that rollers would be possible, but would need to have longer slopes and be spaced further apart. Unsure how I'd add any kind of banked turns and still have the space usable for skiing.

At the moment I have some Landwave ramps and a homemade bike teeter-totter that can be moved around or put away in the winter.

I'm leaning towards a few more portable ramps being the most feasible solution. Has anyone else tried something similar designing for both bike & ski in a small space?

Dirt Monkey
    Apr 2012
    If there's an option, keep bike & ski tracks separate. The track requirement for each sport are specific and too different to blend together without creating something that isn't well suited for either use.

Rollers large enough to ski over aren't going to be pumpable on a bike if that's a concern. Movable wooden features are probably the best option if you can't separate them. Modular wooden berm sections could be built but will be bulky to store and a lot of work to breakdown/setup each season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Started work on a few ramps, working on extending the landwave ramps into rollers:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/families-ridi...l#post13842515

The challenge I'm facing is balancing cost & weight vs longevity & strength. I'd like to retain the ability to move things around without too much trouble, but I'm having some second thoughts on whether I should make adjustments to my general approach as I build more.

Currently I'm using treated 2x3's as framing & upright supports, attached to a ground contact treated 2x4 that runs lengthwise:
    Attachment 1219742

For additional sections, I've been looking at longer 1-2' sections of 2x3 framing each supported by 4x uprights vs. having a differently angled support & joist for each board separately.

Is it worth it to swap out for ground contact 2x4's as uprights? Would cutting it short by 1.5" and having the uprights sit on top of a flat GC 2x4 be better?

Or is none of that going to really make much difference given that snow levels will come up 6" or more through the winter?

Trying to strike a balance, since I'm probably overbuilding vs. most homemade ramps that kids ride on, but underbuilding vs. techniques commonly used on MTB trails that see much more frequent use and infrequent inspection.

This is one of the examples that I'd taken some inspiration from, but their tradeoffs are probably skewed more towards portability than longevity: