ArcGIS Online, anyone use it?- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

ArcGIS Online, anyone use it?

A friend recently sent me a map he made there for something entirely non-bike related, and it got my mapping juices flowing WRT the trail mapping capabilities of the service.

Here's a map I have on my website of the local trails. I have been displaying it in Gmap4 on my website but am tossing around the idea of putting this on my website instead.

<iframe width="500" height="400" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/templates/OnePane/basicviewer/embed.html?webmap=b87792dddff847e882e994026a2bdf6e &amp;gcsextent=-94.6801,31.5911,-94.6122,31.6342&amp;displayslider=true&amp;display scalebar=true&amp;displaybasemaps=true"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=b87792dddff847e882e994026a2bdf6 e&amp;extent=-94.6801,31.5911,-94.6122,31.6342" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left" target="_blank">View Larger Map</a></small>

I currently have the data in .kml files, but the service is compatible with other formats, too. There are a couple interesting things about this. One, is that it supports collaborative edits. Different folks can make edits and update the map. The other is that you can layer multiple files in a single map for online display. Which means you can have trail data in one file, point data in several other files, and have various polygons also displayed on the same map. Depending on where your data is located, you can prevent that data from being edited. For example, on this map, the data is hosted on my website and anyone making edits to the map cannot modify the data unless they have access to my web server. They can add new data, however.

I also found that ESRI has a mobile app (I downloaded the iOS version) that connects to the ArcGIS Online service. Users also appear to be able to edit the map live in the field. The potential for this to be used in trail building seems pretty high. For example, you could create a new layer on the map showing maintenance needs when you're checking out the trail. You can create a layer showing a trail reroute that you can later use to modify the original trail data.

The basemap layers are pretty high quality, too. There's OSM layers, Bing layers, ESRI's own layers, and a few more, with the capability to add other online data from a WMS or ArcGIS server. This has me thinking a bit more seriously about getting a Magellan Toughcase for my ipod. I have planned to get a prepaid mobile hotspot one of these days, and this would work well in that sense to do live map updates for trail building in areas where mobile service is available.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    A friend recently sent me a map he made there for something entirely non-bike related, and it got my mapping juices flowing WRT the trail mapping capabilities of the service.

Here's a map I have on my website of the local trails. I have been displaying it in Gmap4 on my website but am tossing around the idea of putting this on my website instead.

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/templates/OnePane/basicviewer/embed.html?webmap=b87792dddff847e882e994026a2bdf6e &gcsextent=-94.6801,31.5911,-94.6122,31.6342&displayslider=true&displayscalebar =true&displaybasemaps=true" frameborder="0" height="400" scrolling="no" width="500"></iframe>
    <small>View Larger Map</small>
    I have an account but don't use it much. You're right though there is
    some good base data.

I've been staying with Google Earth and Google Maps since they are easier
    to integrate into my own websites.

My GE Map

Still working on adding an elevation profile, but GE is limited to like 50 "z"
    data points or something like that. You can still download the kml's and
    us GE desktop to view the profile though.

You've given me a little motivation to log into ArcOnline and put a map
    together. I'll have to check it out.

since 4/10/2009
    that's an interesting implementation of Google Earth. I haven't seen anything quite like that before. how much coding did it require to do this?

The ArcGIS Online service provides a nice cut-and-paste iframe code that makes it easy to put somewhere with a few options.

one thing I'm not too thrilled about is the lack of capability to enable or disable the individual layers within the map.

regarding elevation profiles, have you considered running your track files through GPS Visualizer or some other program to get a static elevation profile, and then embedding that profile image into the attribute popup for each trail segment? I have seen some code that can handle that sort of functionality programatically and provide interactive profiles, but I do not have that kind of programming skill.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    that's an interesting implementation of Google Earth. I haven't seen anything quite like that before. how much coding did it require to do this?
    I tried to paste the code for you but for some reason the { CODE } tag
    isn't letting me. Feel free to view the page source for my maps and take
    the code. It's pretty easy to figure out.

regarding elevation profiles, have you considered running your track files through GPS Visualizer or some other program to get a static elevation profile, and then embedding that profile image into the attribute popup for each trail segment?
    Actually that's what I was planning on. Just never got around to it.
    Going to use GPS Trackmaker for creating the profile and then either use
    the attribute pop-up or a JavaScript popup.

I think the map is functionally better using Google Maps service since
    you can add tools for directions, etc... but I really like the 3D view in
    GE. I've got another map with polygon overlays here.
    Section 16 Map

Don't forget you can also add your trail names, o rany attribute you want
    labeled, into the .kml code and have them display. Download one of the
    .kml files and then open it in notepad.

The great thing is that I have lots of layers I can turn on and off with the
    code on GE and GM. All the layers in GE Desktop IIRC.

I can view the ArcOnline map on my Kindle Fire also. But I can't use GE on
    it though. So that's a big plus for using ArcOnline. I'll have to check it out.

Yeah I really miss those roots in SHNF...
    My first MTB race was down there and my kidney's were sore for a week.

Gig 'em!
    UT

since 4/10/2009
    [email protected] simple to figure out.

that's much more extensive code than I've implemented anywhere on my site so far. I'd probably break it if I tried to modify it for my own purposes.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    [email protected] simple to figure out.

that's much more extensive code than I've implemented anywhere on my site so far. I'd probably break it if I tried to modify it for my own purposes.
    I gave it the acid test.

The first map had over 28000 features and I had to break them down into @ 500 features per shapefile to get them to load. Then after about 20000 features loaded and the map at 43 MB it wouldn't save it. It takes literally 15 minutes to save the file. Crashes Silverlight most of the time so I would have to start over each time. Spent hours and hours on it.

Anyway. I consolidated the data and then tried again. This is what I came up with. It's ok. But I really wanted the attribute info on each property.
    I'll keep trying though.

Just doesn't seem to handle large data sets very well. And obviously I can't get it to share/embed my map ......
    how did you get yours to embed?
    <iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/embedViewer.html?webmap=c30504c600424097bd93b6cdcc 0cbe03&zoom=true&scale=true&extent=-112.217147200835,36.7858005288305,-98.8848501991642,41.1980596241719" frameborder="0" height="400" scrolling="no" width="500"></iframe>
    <small>View Larger Map</small>

Members who have read this thread: 0