Anyone else learn useful skills for backyard landscaping from trail building?- Mtbr.com
    Dream it, Do it.

Anyone else learn useful skills for backyard landscaping from trail building?

I've learned two things from trail building that have been super useful for maintaining our backyard. Any other trail building skills that are useful in for landscaping?

1. A cutter mattock is the best tool for digging out shrubs/small trees and digging trenches. My parents used to do these tasks with a shovel and the mattock does these things times quicker than with a shovel.

Anyone else learn useful skills for backyard landscaping from trail building?-rogue-cutter-mattock.jpg

2. If you have a change in elevation, you can build a water bar to redirect water away from the natural fall line. I'm going to see if this drain can keep our hillside from filling the French drain that I just rebuilt.

Anyone else learn useful skills for backyard landscaping from trail building?-french-drain.jpg
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    To me, gardening is weird. People keep trying to add organics. They even spend money on bags of it.

At least my wife no longer tolerates gardening “tools” and goes straight for the Rogue hoe/rake or Pulaski.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    At least my wife no longer tolerates gardening “tools” and goes straight for the Rogue hoe/rake or Pulaski.
    Yeah, I have no idea why trail building tools are not used by most gardeners. So much faster to use than the typical gardening tools.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Cutter mattocks are great trailbuilding tools! I buy better quality hardware store cutter mattocks (Collins), the cost is around $30 IIRC. I don't feel badly about bashing them into rocks. This allows me to save my Rogue Hoe, with its sharper edge, for "nicer" soil. Cutting roots isn't as fast as with an axe or a Pulaski, but again, I don't worry about spoiling a nice cutting edge. The 2.5 lb tool head is something I can swing for hours, while the 5 lb head leaves me exhausted in a much shorter time period.

A 2.5 lb cutter mattock is close to replacing the Rogue Hoe as my preferred single tool.

Does trail building influence my home landscaping? I don't have similar water management issues, not much in that respect. But I have used the pile of random rocks that accumulated over the years to make some small soil retaining walls. Pitched rock construction runs counter to the way that people tend to stack rocks. We're used to seeing stacks of limestone slabs, and the tendency seems to be to try to duplicate that look. Pitched rock, and all that means is that the rocks are tipped or "pitched" up on their narrow ends, and leaned on each other, can be used to make sturdy and durable rock walls using nearly any shape of rock.