Anti-bike hypocrisy in New York- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Anti-bike hypocrisy in New York

Check out this article from the Environmental News Network.

ENN Story

To block cyclists from being able to use the paths in a New York park, an anti bike activist is hiking off trail, looking for the rattlesnakes he says need to be protected. These particular snakes are not listed as endangered, although there is an apparent argument as to whether they might be endangered. But if you read the regulations about endangered species, going out and stomping through their habitat is not legal behavior, as you don't have to kill an endangered animal for the law to define an activity as a "taking".

Now I'll admit I'm not fond of rattlesnakes, but I do understand they play a role in the ecosystem. What annoys me is that we see this sort of thing over and over, where someone uses the environmental laws to block something they don't like.

mtbr member

Upset

Man, I second your annoyance! I've heard this referred to in a letter to the editor downstate in the Poughkeepsie Journal ("urinal"). There's great terrain up there I bet, as I've seen in nearbt Vt. Too many elitist hikers using unfounded "science." And too many bikers that only ride and dont pitch in too...

Jun 2005
    If you can get me his name and address, I would happily crate him up a Gross (144) and ship them overnight delivery. SW Montana has plenty to spare.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Evil laughter

Quote Originally Posted by Fenske
    If you can get me his name and address, I would happily crate him up a Gross (144) and ship them overnight delivery. SW Montana has plenty to spare.
    Bu wha ha ha!

You know, I've read that most folks bit by snakes are messing around with them, and the guy in the story is out stomping around in their habitat looking for them. Sounds like a Darwin award in progress.

And did you notice that he's not looking for them adjacent to the trails he wants to keep cyclists off of?

mtbr member
    bushwhacking through the woods looking for rattlers... darwin award indeed.

i think he stands a far better chance of stepping on one bushwhacking "off trail" than a cyclist running one over on trail... as the article states there are no reports of any cycling related kills of the rattlers at other parks nearby so i doubt it would be a problem here, especially of the trail head kiosk made a mention to keep watch for them.

i was hiking kittatinny mtn (Delaware NRA) 5 years ago and i almost stepped on a rattler lazily sunning himself... i literallly saw it as i stepped towards it then jumped back. the snake barely took any notice of me... just enjoying the warm sun coming in through a break in the trees above. that was a cool moment. but point is, a hiker could stomp on a snake just as well as a biker so maybe he should advocate a ban of *people* from the park, not just bikers. no he would not do that... his agenda is more "against bikers" than "for the rattlers" and he'll attempt to use the rattler as a means to keep bikers out. tool.

Sep 2005

we got em too

Quote Originally Posted by Fenske
    We've got plenty o' Eastern Timber's here and even more Copperheads, should the need arise.

This guy reminds me of that guy who was a "Griz" advocate in Alaska and eventually got 'et" by them....