Aliso Creek Trail to the Sea- Mtbr.com
    Mendoman

Upset Aliso Creek Trail to the Sea

I enjoy riding the Aliso Creek trail when I am in Orange County. It bothers me that I can not ride it tot he beach since I can go all the way to the Laguna Beach Municipal Golf Course which is on PCH. I am surprised that Laguna Beach which has a a history of environmental friendliness would not allow a continuation of the trail to the beach. I've tried contacting City Hall and the golf course manager and no one will respond. Am Imissing someting here? The trail goes for miles only to be stopped the last few hunderd feet to the sea.

mtbr member
    The trail connection to the coast is in the long-term plan but needs to get through some hurdles (ie... planning, environmental, and private property issues).

Not really sure of the ultimate timing, but there have been quite a few public meetings over the past couple of years that have discussed this connection.

Not a definitive answer as to the timeline, but I hope this helps.

Thanks, and see ya on the trails

Mendoman

Thank you, it just kept bugging me

It is such a cool ride it would be nice just to take it all the way to the beach. I'm glad they are working on it.

Regards,
    Chuck

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I wonder how that canyon came to be private property. Was it part of the Irvine Ranch?
    I remember reading somewhere that in the 19th century and maybe into the early 20th century, there was a dirt road out to the coast through that canyon used by folks heading to the coast from inland.

Mendoman
    I don't believe that Woods and Aliso Canyon were part of the Irvine Ranch. I forget now but there is a part of the park where there are still some ranch structures standing and there is a sign there giving a little history of the ranch. I think that there was a road leading to the beach since if you leave the park and head West there is a trail and a paved road heading down the canyon toward the beach but it does not go past the golf course. The paved road ends at a water tank and the area is gated, I haven't used the trail because it always sees to be really congested with pedestrians. I'm not real crazy about riding some of the trails in teh park because it seems that a lot of the bikers are weekend warriors or haven't much experience. I've ridden to the top of the park and on the way down I kept meeting groups of bicyclists insisting on riding 3 or 4 abreast up the road: a very dangerous situation for anyone descending with any speed. I like the area and aside from Woods Canyon and Aliso parks which tend to be congested the trail itself is a cool ride almost starting at Cook's Corners in the Silverado and Trabuco Canyon area.

mtbr member
    Not within the Irvine Ranch borders.

Right now the road hits a gate at the water treatment plant so it is effectively cut off from the coast. Technically you're not supposed to be on the road past the entrance to the Wood Canyon Trail near the porta-potties. The paved road is a water district road.

The County would be the best contact for information regarding the potential date of the connection to the coast.

I believe they might still have a contact site for the Aliso-Woods Recreation and Resource Management Plan on their website at www.ocparks.com

Hope this helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0