advice on making a skinny

Printable View

• 06-07-2018
    frignuts
    advice on making a skinny
    Stumbled upon this fallen pine tree

This skinny line is begging to be ridden, but my skills aren't there yet. I'd like to flatten the top to make it easier to ride but I'm not sure how. Whats the best way? chain saw? screw wood into it? use some kind of wood planer?

Thanks!
  • 06-08-2018
    DaveVt
    1 Attachment(s)
    ^Yup. Cut the notches an inch or two apart. Then use a chisel and hammer. You can chip down to the ridges with a swinging tool like a hatchet or pulaski but it can be a little dangerous.
  • 06-08-2018
    ki5ka
    1 Attachment(s)
    It would mean spending some money, but seems the perfect job for an Alaskan Sawmill. Might be some issues with clearance on the side...

Attachment 1202770

http://a.co/j83C1n0

We found that attaching a line and having someone pull the rig made the chore MUCH easier for long cuts.
  • 06-08-2018
    Mr Pig
    Is that a feature someone else built?
  • 06-08-2018
    radair
    That look like a beauty. It will last longer if you peel the bark. Clear punji sticks out of the fall zones on each side too. Making log rides can be a lot of work but they're worth it.
  • 06-08-2018
    ki5ka
    No, its a pic from an ad I think. It was the best pic I could find that explains it. I've used one building a cabin, not trail-work, but it seems a similar circumstances (in the woods) and similar need. The one we used was smaller and didn't have stuff sticking out of the sides but I couldn't find a pic of that style.
  • 06-10-2018
    tmbrown
    5 Attachment(s)
    I made this a few years back, used a ripping chain, like you would with a Alaskan sawmill, just did it freehand. Saw used was a MS440 with a big bore kit, and DP muffler.

Attachment 1203042

Attachment 1203043

Attachment 1203045

Attachment 1203044

Attachment 1203046
  • 06-11-2018
    DaveVt
    ^Clean work! On PB, Movies for your Monday is a really good short on this. Also another movie involving some building going on in Washington state. Everything is going back to more RAW bike trail. Thank god.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/movies...ne11-2018.html
  • 06-26-2018
    Redhotrotor
    2 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by radair View Post
    That look like a beauty. It will last longer if you peel the bark. Clear punji sticks out of the fall zones on each side too. Making log rides can be a lot of work but they're worth it.

Indeed, the bark will hold moisture and invite insects.

I just usually remove the bark after a good drying period, then just top it with the saw. I don't like to make sidewalks out of them anymore. This one is slightly elevated, but still fairly easy to clean. It took two of us, plus a third who helped tidy things up towards the end, about 4 hours plus the ride in/out.

Before:

Attachment 1205287

After:

Attachment 1205286
  • 06-28-2018
    Clayncedar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmbrown View Post
    I made this a few years back, used a ripping chain, like you would with a Alaskan sawmill, just did it freehand. Saw used was a MS440 with a big bore kit, and DP muffler.

Attachment 1203042

Attachment 1203043

Attachment 1203045

Attachment 1203044

Attachment 1203046

Yup. This is how we did it on our trail system.

Nice end product this way without having to haul an Alaskan all the way into the woods.
  • 07-28-2018
    ki5ka
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmbrown View Post

Attachment 1203044

Love how you notched this in. How is it holding up? Got any pics of it now, after a few years?
  • 07-28-2018
    tmbrown
    2 Attachment(s)
    Here's a couple from 6/10/18
    I used a couple large nails or spikes, 8" long to hold it together.

Attachment 1209977

Attachment 1209979
  • 07-28-2018
    ki5ka
    Looks awesome, love how its grown in and looks so natural :) Can't tell from the pick, does it look like it's getting ridden?
  • 07-29-2018
    tmbrown
    1 Attachment(s)
    No it doesnít get much use, what you donít see is that proceeding the skinny is probably the sketchiest turn on the trail, a tight left-hand turn past 90 degs, downhill with roots and rocks at the apex, plus its off camber, then you have about six feet to get lined up for the skinny, most riders are happy just making through the turnÖ I personally know 5 people that have bruised or broken ribs, from that skinny, it's not that hard, but its downhill and they come in too fast, and it's slick as snot when wet.

I found a old picture of the turn, but it doesnít do it justice, you donít see the roots and rocks, they're blocked by that tree.

Attachment 1210063
  • 07-29-2018
    ki5ka
    Great backstory tm. I live in the desert now, but grew up in similar climate so I can imagine that slickness. Bet'cha feel like million bucks when you nail it.
  • 07-29-2018
    ki5ka
    Trailbuilding