• 03-15-2019
    jasonryen
    Access gained to local State Park
    I'm a member of a small, grassroots mtb org, and we recently gained access to our local state park!

Turns out, the park had started a mtb trail project a few years ago. It was abandoned due to lack of interest, too few volunteers. However, they did manage to bench in a 100 yards or so from the trail head.

Our org has been given permission from the park to restart the project! Hand tools only for now, but the park will give some of us the DNR safety courses. In the meantime, the park has offered to do all the saw work.

Our first build day is 3/16/2019. We've walked and flagged a nice corridor to start with. This is our opportunity to "prove oursleves" to the park. If so, they're willing to help us gain access to the adjoining state forest land! We're all super freaking stoked this is happening!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
  • 03-16-2019
    karthur
    Cool. Hope the trail work goes well for you today! Those are some nice open looking woods to build in.
  • 03-16-2019
    Cotharyus
    That looks like a sweet place to have some trails. Best of luck!
  • 03-16-2019
    ki5ka
    That's exciting! Good luck, have fun.
  • 03-17-2019
    jasonryen
    Thanks guys! We made good progress over the weekend.

• 03-18-2019
    Rod
    Looks great! Way to go!
  • 03-18-2019
    karthur
    I'd ride that! How much did y'all get done and how much is left to do?
  • 03-18-2019
    jasonryen
    I benched this out this evening

• 03-20-2019
    dburatti
    Nice! I wish we had more public land around me on which to build trails.

One quick note about one of the pictures you posted: I think I saw logs on the downhill side of the bench cut maybe there to support the tread. This will eventually trap the water that is sheet flowing down your back slope and across the trail, causing water to stay on the trail and probably run down it. Always perform a full bench cut with no long obstructions on the down hill side. Otherwise, beautiful work!