Is 10 acres worthwhile?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Is 10 acres worthwhile?

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has done anything like this......right now I have access to aprrox 8 -10 acres of land and was considering cutting a loop for xc, kinda a place to do fast laps after work , intervals without the road bike sort of thing. It's old farm land half woods and half overgrown meadow. Iit seems like enough when I walk it........any ideas?
    Oh and it's completely flat so I was thinking real twisty and winding

since 4/10/2009
    I used to know a guy several years ago that built trails on his active family farm in the small strips of woods between the fields. he managed to pack a couple miles into it. he would let people use it if you went through him personally and signed some release paperwork.

it wasn't bad for being packed between cornfields. low traffic kept it from getting trashed when it was too wet because the land was flat as it can be

Delirious Tuck
    Maybe put in a pump track, you'll get one heck of a work out from that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Oh yea thats quite a bit of property for trails. If they get laid out correctly you should be able to fit alot in and even a pump track. I know a guy here in Florida who builds pump tracks. Im not shure if he builds trails but he dose killer work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nyxcracer View Post
    Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has done anything like this......right now I have access to aprrox 8 -10 acres of land and was considering cutting a loop for xc, kinda a place to do fast laps after work , intervals without the road bike sort of thing. It's old farm land half woods and half overgrown meadow. Iit seems like enough when I walk it........any ideas?
    Oh and it's completely flat so I was thinking real twisty and winding
    Seems totally worthwhile: I live in an area with some pretty long xc routes, yet value a couple trails that are in small pockets of woods passed by the regional trails.
    While the spot I'm thinking of has a slight sideslope that the trails work back and forth on, they also take advantage of trees, brush and logs. Think lots of corners, with an emphasis on handling, finding a tempo to carry you through a series of corners as fast as you can go, with periodic abrupt tight corners that force you to cut your speed and then regain momentum. There are two loops, side by side like this, you can ride them together or separately, and get quite a fun workout and ride. The whole footprint is maybe two acres at most.
    Last edited by HarryCallahan; 06-23-2011 at 01:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Plenty o' space. Totally worth it. Just be very careful of placement as flat areas get muddy real quick. If there are any spots that are even slightly lower than the surrounding areas (even just a few inches lower), you may end up dealing with more mud than you want to. So stick to the higher areas and make lots of twists and turns.

mtbr member
    Yea... you can make them Escher Acres. That way you only climb or only descend.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I am going to play around here when I get some time (if it ever stops raining)

Its clay here so water is a problem , sticking to the high spots is a must, when it dries up it's like concrete though.
    So lots of turns and maybe a bridge or two is in the works.... I was thinking last night about a spot for some bermed fast corners Thanks for all the replies

mtbr member
    We have a 2.3 mile trail in an area under 10 acres. It's a tight twisty technical trail that is a lot of fun to ride and a great skill builder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The bike park I manage is about 1/2 that size with small loop of single track, pump track, skills features, and a flow line with 3 berms and 9 jumps. Our following of people who enjoy that is growing and it might be very good that I see parents bringing kids to the place more than to regular trail heads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    when life gives you lemons...

Unpredictable
    If this is your property, then you have a box seat to fun. It will take some serious planning and time though. Water is your enemy. No matter how well you manage it on your land, if you damage surrounding properties doing so, then......

Bring in rock, big rocks, big lumbar, dig and shape the terrain to fit as much interest as you can on a relatively short trail. Use intertwined trails turns and exploit subtle terrain features. Consider a low point pond. Build a bridge over it if you want. Over here a pond could be listed with the local rural fire service and be a community asset as well as a feature in your trail system. Cross falline trails like a plait with hip jumps or bridges or pump sections or whatever.

One thing about small areas is that apart from any big things you import and position, you can do it all by hand with time and enthusiasm. And just the way you want it.