(xpost)help! replace cable on xtr dual control shift levers?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

(xpost)help! replace cable on xtr dual control shift levers?

Has anyone successfully replaced their cables on their xtr dual control shift levers? I got stuck just trying to pull the old cables out. Any tips would be really appreciated. I've started to unscrew some very small parts, but then I stopped. I've been on that road before...

elsalt

FredoShizzle
    Isn't there a small cover with #1 phillips head screws holding it on?

Have you looked at ParkTools.com? Their site has the best detail on repair techniques with good photos. Look in 'Repair Help'.

BTW - smooth moves Napolean

mtbr member

still working on it...

no help from our friends at park, but i bookmarked the page for future projects. i was given a pdf of an exploded system from the everything drivetrain board. still a pain in the arse. i've replaced cable on old xts and xtrs without a problem. this new system is hell. "idiot!"

re: napoleon dynamite... funniest movie i've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by FizzleShizzle
    Isn't there a small cover with #1 phillips head screws holding it on?

Have you looked at ParkTools.com? Their site has the best detail on repair techniques with good photos. Look in 'Repair Help'.

BTW - smooth moves Napolean

FredoShizzle
    How can you say that?

The kid made Me want to punch him in the head and I'm a really patient, nice guy. The low ridin' chopped chariot that he and his pencil sketched beauty queen rode to the dance in was killer, though.

Can you post the link for that schematic/ assembly diagram of the levers?

mtbr member

flippin' sweet!

aw c'mon! i was dying laughing. along with my wife too... i guess we have a pretty distorted sense of humor. to each his own right? i wanted to punch his uncle in the head. that guy was a flippin' idiot! ok, no more flippin.

oh, here's that pdf.
    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycli...iew/ST-M960.pdf

How can you say that?

The kid made Me want to punch him in the head and I'm a really patient, nice guy. The low ridin' chopped chariot that he and his pencil sketched beauty queen rode to the dance in was killer, though.

Can you post the link for that schematic/ assembly diagram of the levers?

FredoShizzle
    Punch the uncle? The poor guy just never got past his high school glory days. There's some of that in 80% of guys I know. Besides, he was just trying to boost the self-esteem of women by offer breast enhancement without surgery and he was a decent bowler. I can't believe I'm responding to this.

Go see Tank Girl. That's a classic, cult quality film. "I've got two words for you - Brush your teeth!"

So, did you figger out the cable connection on your shifters? In another thread someone wrote about needing the left control on the granny gear and the right on the outer cassette. It occurred to me that access to your cable block may have been hidden because of this.

mtbr member

never seen tank girl...

but i'll check it out. yep, i have friends that are like the uncle too. at some point, he just had to let go. i guess there was a happy ending for him after all. when his 'soul mate' came riding by on a bike. you gotta admit, the dancing was pretty sweet!

back to the real topic...
    i have held off on fixing the shifter. yep, i read something about shifting on the right gear. i was able to pull the cable out, but i'm having some difficulty slipping the new cable in. i've been riding my dh rig in the meanwhile. i'll probably get to it tomorrow, the extra 12 lbs. on my bike is killing me.

Punch the uncle? The poor guy just never got past his high school glory days. There's some of that in 80% of guys I know. Besides, he was just trying to boost the self-esteem of women by offer breast enhancement without surgery and he was a decent bowler. I can't believe I'm responding to this.

Go see Tank Girl. That's a classic, cult quality film. "I've got two words for you - Brush your teeth!"

So, did you figger out the cable connection on your shifters? In another thread someone wrote about needing the left control on the granny gear and the right on the outer cassette. It occurred to me that access to your cable block may have been hidden because of this.