What to lube and with what?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

What to lube and with what?

I just got back from a Moab trip and I am in the process of trying to clean everything up and re-lubing/regreasing. My question is what type of lube/grease and what areas to hit. Some of these I think I know but others I am not sure about.

* seat post -- white lithium grease?
    * seat bolt -- grease to help/reduce squeaking?
    * rubber seals around front and rear hubs -- lube or just wipe clean?
    * rear derailluer pivot points -- lube
    * front derailluer pivot points - lube
    * seals around the spindle on clipless pedals (ritchey logic V2) - lube or just wipe clean?
    * tension springs in clipless pedal (ritchey logic V2) - lube? these seamed to get really gummed up in Moab making it very difficult to clip-out and clip in
    * brake and derailuer cables - lube
    * cantilever or v-brake pivot bosses - lube?
    * spring inside of a cantilever brake - light grease?
    * chain - lube
    * rear derailluer pulley wheel bearings (I think these are bearings) - lube

This is all I can come up with. I tend to ride mostly in dry conditions and have used White Lightening dry lube in the past. The white lightening I had been using was quite old so it tended to come out thick -- I just got a new tube and even though I have not used it yet it seems it is much more thinner.

Do I seem to be on the right track with these or is my logic wrong. Please provide any input or additonal areas to lube and any preferentional types of lubes.

Thanks

Ed

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Here's what I would do with the lubes I have in my shed and since the weather here is not mucky often I can get away with lighter lubes:
    * seat post -- Anti-seize (Sticky grease), mine is Nulon L90, for any parts that are clamped or similar eg. handlebars
    * seat bolt -- Anti-seize
    * rubber seals around front and rear hubs -- if it's mucky then I would clean and regrease
    * rear derailluer pivot points -- Semi-wet lube, Nulon Nu-Lube [Wet lube if conditions are mucky or grease if you can dismantle the pivots.]
    * front derailluer pivot points - Semi-wet lube [*Ditto]
    * seals around the spindle on clipless pedals (SPDs) - WD-40 blasting, because I've never had rough spinning pedals [if you can dismantle the pedals, clean and grease away]
    * tension springs in clipless pedal (ritchey logic V2) - Blast with WD-40
    * brake and derailuer cables - Semi-wet lube [you can use a dry lube if you want, and if you run coated cables no need for lube], because I have exposed cables under the the BB... I applied my chain lube on cables around there and up the front derailleur
    * cantilever or v-brake pivot bosses - Grease, I use Nulon L80
    * spring inside of a cantilever brake - If needed grease
    * chain - Rock'n'Roll Extreme chain lube, I don't really need to reapply the chain lube because it has lasted very well and kept the chain CLEAN.
    * rear derailluer pulley wheel bearings (I think these are bearings) - my low end derailleur pulley wheels has an axle, the pulley wheel wedged between two cups and secured with screws, I pack the cups with grease

To summarise my lube go on certain types of parts:
    - Light moving parts, not exposed to too much mucky: Semi-wet
    - Light moving parts, exposed to muck: Chain lube
    - Disperse crap from mucky parts: WD-40, wipe and relube appropriately if needed.
    - Non-moving securing points: Anti-seize
    - Moving parts except chain: Grease
    - Chain: Chain lube when actually needed

The lubes you use can sense mainly because of your mentioned dry conditions, not dissimilar to where I live. I'm interested in ProLink chain lube and may give it a go when I eventually run out of RnR Extreme because I've got 16oz. of this stuff and only relube the off-road bike chain once, the on-road bike is still on it's first coat, it's going to be while longer.

Members who have read this thread: 0