What kind of grease to use?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What kind of grease to use?

I need something to grease bolts before I tighten them down. I had some red lithium based high temperature something just sitting around. Is it good, bad, or ugly? Don't want to use anything that is harmful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've used the Park Tool grease for that application. I just don't like lithium personally. Another option to consider is Pedro's Syngrease.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm sure someone will dissagree, but I think any grease is good grease for bolts. Some greases will be better, but nothing will be bad.

Some greases are much better for high speed bearings, others for low speed. Some are better at keeping water out. Some are thick, some are thin. Some are high temp, others low. You get the picture. Anyway, for greasing threads, anything will do.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Inconsiderate Dan
    I need something to grease bolts before I tighten them down. I had some red lithium based high temperature something just sitting around. Is it good, bad, or ugly? Don't want to use anything that is harmful.

A wheelist

The sky won't fall even if you use bacon grease so why not try the stuff that's really made for greasing bolt threads - anti-seize compound?

www.justthebonnet.com
    Anti seize is the way to go. Just try to get it off your fingers and you'll know how well it sticks to metal surfaces. Get it wet, it still works, get it dirty, still works, it is the best silver colored cancer causing goo I use!!!!!
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    I use marine grade waterproof grease. I like it for bearings since if water gets in them it helps protect them. I use it for bolts as well.

If you're looking for something just for bolts, anti-seeze/never-seize stuff works well. Many of them have lead and other metals in them so they're not the most environmentally friendly. Try G-n Metal Assembly Paste. It's made by 3m or dow corning I believe. I've used this in applications where metal based anit-seizes are not allowed. It works just as good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

We the people ... Molybdendisulfide..

Use whichever grease you want. But the best one is the black grease espacially made for anti-seizing where tiny molybdendisulfide particles are added. You can get this kind of grease in well equipped bike shops or shops where they sell auto parts. The same kind of grease is usually used for the seat post preventing it to get stuck in the frame.

lucas

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Moly is good stuff but last I heard was hyrophillic.
    My seatpost was greased with a white greas that won't show on clothing much.

Riding a Rig.
    oops. ignore this.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Titanium bolt seizing

Along the lines of this conversation, have any of your experienced titanium bolt seizing? Some have said that ti prep is necessary for these bolts, but isn't threadlock more important to use in places like disc brake mounting bolts?
    Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It amazes me how much people spend on these bike specific lubes. And these cleaners too. $8 for a bottle of "bike wash". Hello! Have they ever heard of simple green? 409? Hell, Dawn dishwashing detergent? As far as grease goes, I have found that plain old white lithium grease is 10 times as waterproof as these bike specific "waterproof " greases. It's thick, great for headsets and BB's. And a lietime supply will set you back about $3. For oil? any motor oil will do. If you need something thinner, tri flow. No need to make this any more complex than it is. It's a bicycle for crying out loud. No high temps, no extreme temperatures. No need to have NASA cook up some million dollar lube to keep your brakes from squeakin. That's my opinion. Make it yours!

mtbr member
    for hub bearings, headsets, greasing cables, bolts etc I use a castrol bearing grease. Comes in a big tube for about $10. This will last me a lifetime, I fill up a small syringe (from chemist) with the stuff and makes a great applicator that lasts a year or so. Exceptions are triflow for CK ringdrive and CK lube (I didn't pay for it, be nice) for their hub bearings.

Put a dollop of grease in the bottom of your seatpost as well, if your pedals (or anything else) need a bit of emergency lube in the middle of a ride, whip out the seatpost and there you have it. Thanks to AMB magazine for that tip.

- Joel