What to do with bike while servicing fork?- Mtbr.com
    In Transit
    Nov 2009

What to do with bike while servicing fork?

You guys are very clever around here so here's another situation that I would appreciate your advice on - I need to service the fork on my hardtail, but I only have one work stand. Do you have any good tips for storing the bike upright sans fork without just leaving it in a pile of parts on the ground, while I use the work stand for the actual fork service work? Seems like using a crapped out fork in the right size would be the best solution as it would keep everything orderly, but I don't have one at the moment. I'm thinking about notching a big cardboard box sitting on the ground to cradle the frame at this point but am still looking for a better way. I have a 4" vice mounted to my workbench if that's useful at all.

Thanks!

slow
    I hang mine from the saddle somewhere else in the garage. Usually that is on the handlebar of another bike or from a ceiling hook in the garage. Maybe you could clamp a piece of pipe in your vice and hang the bike saddle on that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Why do you need to keep the bicycle upright while servicing the fork?

mtbr member
    A pedal wrench fits perfectly in the stem/head tube area, sort of a "mock" steerer tube. Its a good way to keep you stem/spacer/top headset assembly in the right order.
    That helps you 0% with your original question, but consider the placeholder idea to keep parts from flopping loosely around

More pie please
    I have a scorpion stand and use that. With the forks off, the bike rocks back on to the rear tire.

https://www.feedbacksports.com/produ...ion-2pc-black/

I know it isn't something you can DIY immediately, and it costs money, but I find it very handy to have around.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlands R&C View Post
    A pedal wrench fits perfectly in the stem/head tube area, sort of a "mock" steerer tube. Its a good way to keep you stem/spacer/top headset assembly in the right order.
    That helps you 0% with your original question, but consider the placeholder idea to keep parts from flopping loosely around
    Good point. I use a 1 1/8th" wooden dowel a little over a foot long for that.
    Long live long rides

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions guys and keep them coming if you got anything else. Saddle hooked on a handlebar is certainly an interesting one but not sure that I would risk it with a nice carbon bike. I too thought about the 1-⅛ dowel and I could put on a washer so that it could actually support the front end while resting on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Why do you need to keep the bicycle upright while servicing the fork?
    I don't have a lot of free space in my garage (who does?) and all my bikes are in rear wheel bike stands like at a bike shop. I may not get through my fork rebuild in a single session, so it would be good to have the bike out of the way and not lying on the concrete next to the car that's in there.

mtbr member
    I almost always leave the fork on the bike and the bike in the stand when I service it. Why take it off?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I use an old fork that I cut the uppers off of....I just stick that in the head tube to keep the bars etc tied together. Then I hang it from the rear wheel on one of my ceiling hooks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I like to take the fork off just because it's easier to handle. When I service the fork, I hang the bike off the ceiling from one of the hooks I usually hang my bike for storage.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I almost always leave the fork on the bike and the bike in the stand when I service it. Why take it off?
    Need to invert the fork for a lot of service procedures.

mtbr member
    ^^^ Yep. Really only adding the bath oil. I turn the bike in the stand until the fork is angled up. I've done dozens like this.

Of course you could go ghetto and put the bike upside down on the saddle and bars...just don't hit any above bar controls.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    After pulling fork, I use string, machinists wire or a large zip-tie (or 2-3 together) through headset with spacers/bearings stacked in proper order. Then just hang bike by seat or bungy's somewhere out of the way while I do the fork. I have a big 'J-hook' on the wall so I can hang bike from front wheel to save garage space. This is how I store bike after every ride (foam fork seals are always lubricated in storage). With fork off, this also gives me the option to hang from rear wheel if desired.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    ^^I do something similar. I have this long rubber coated wire tie that I put through the headtube to keep my headset and stem together. I just lean the bike against something.

A seal and oil change takes about an hour for me to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rather than setting the bike down on a towel I'll usually hire a neighborhood kid or ask the wife to hold the bike for me.

mtbr member
    I'm in the "don't take fork off to service" camp. I just spin the bike around on the stand as needed. My 50 hour service's take less than 30 minutes doing it this way (libation sipping included). If space is a premium, as the OP stated, then this is the best solution.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

The Punk Hucker
    I have a stand for the bike and a stand clamp bolted to the work bench to work on the fork. Just bragging...

Basically this : Name:  7948f409-0089-4eee-af83-babc53a9a4a6_1.19202222c9bdd1d9cd8a69e64f5404ee.jpeg
Views: 57
Size:  33.2 KB
    Beware the hucking bear!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Likewise, I have a good stand that the bike stays in, and an el cheapo wall mount stand bolted to a leg of my workbench for clamping forks in. And when not servicing forks a bit of dowel in it holds a roll of paper towels just fine!