mtbr member
    Apr 2009

V-brake install question

Howdy,

I did a quick search to see if this had been asked before, and I couldn't find anything so here's my question:

Is there anything different between a front and rear v-brake besides the sticker on the box and the direction of the brake pads? (I can't see any difference...)

Specifically, will I run into any problems installing a front v-brake on my rear tire?

Thanks

nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by emergencyexit
    Howdy,

I did a quick search to see if this had been asked before, and I couldn't find anything so here's my question:

Is there anything different between a front and rear v-brake besides the sticker on the box and the direction of the brake pads? (I can't see any difference...)

Specifically, will I run into any problems installing a front v-brake on my rear tire?

Thanks
    The pads are directional but I'm pretty certain the calipers are the same.

I don't think installing a front v on the back would be a problem but I've never tried it so I don' t know for sure.
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

Former Bike Wrench
    The cable guide (noodle), at least on the Shimano brakes, is different is well. Front is 135* and rear is 90*

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I assume the difference in angle makes it easier on the housing... I see how using a rear noodle in the front could put some extra stress on it, but the only complication I see to putting a front on the rear is a bit of extra housing. Does that seem right?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by emergencyexit
    I assume the difference in angle makes it easier on the housing... I see how using a rear noodle in the front could put some extra stress on it, but the only complication I see to putting a front on the rear is a bit of extra housing. Does that seem right?
    YEP

Members who have read this thread: 0