mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Ultrasonic cleaner for Shimano pedal bodies (with axles removed)??

I have an old set of Shimano PD-M525 pedals. I purchased the Shimano $2 tool to remove the axles, and did the five minute disassembly, pack the pedal with grease and reassemble, forcing the grease through the bearings. The pedals feel great, and that was one of the easiest jobs I've ever done on a bike.

I tried to scrub the springs etc on the pedal, and found it really hard to get them really clean. So, what I was thinking, was I could pull the axles again, and put the pedal bodies in my ultrasonic bath.

A few runs in that with the heat on, and they should clean up really well. I can then re-lube the springs and put the axles back in with a little grease.

Anyone done this? The alternative seems to be to disassemble the springs/plates and maybe have a tough job getting them back together.

Im doing this just for the purpose of making something old work well again and be usable for my commute (my Time ATAC's will come off and I'll run these a while).

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Don't think I've ever cleaned those on my pedals. They should work fine without being "really clean". The only thing you don't want in the cleaner are assembled bearings, so by removing those, I don't see an issue with dropping the rest in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Mudhorse
    I broke my left leg a few years ago because one of my Shimano pedals (the left one!) didn't release properly during what should have been a trivial washout. The mech was getting a little gummed up with the inevitable grease/dirt mix and I reckon on that occasion I got a bit of grit lodged in the wrong place at the wrong time. So yeah, go for it, clean and lubed is the way to go for SPD pedals.

A note of caution though: most ultrasonic baths aren't specified for use with flammable solvents as there's the risk that a spark from the driver circuit will ignite vapours. I naughtily use WD40 in my cheap jewellery ultrasonic bath, but I do it outside so that if it goes WOOF! it's not going to burn my garage down.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassington View Post
    I broke my left leg a few years ago because one of my Shimano pedals (the left one!) didn't release properly during what should have been a trivial washout. The mech was getting a little gummed up with the inevitable grease/dirt mix and I reckon on that occasion I got a bit of grit lodged in the wrong place at the wrong time. So yeah, go for it, clean and lubed is the way to go for SPD pedals.

A note of caution though: most ultrasonic baths aren't specified for use with flammable solvents as there's the risk that a spark from the driver circuit will ignite vapours. I naughtily use WD40 in my cheap jewellery ultrasonic bath, but I do it outside so that if it goes WOOF! it's not going to burn my garage down.
    Thanks. I was previously using SimpleGreenHD (which is purple from memory). I'm out now, so will have to buy more for this job. I've just got the Harbor Freight ultrasonic. From my experience, it's the bare minimum power/size for bicycle stuff.

I wasn't sure if someone would say ''no'', they'd tried the ultrasonic and could never sufficiently grease them again to have them work. There do seem to be some bike parts that are better left alone.

I'll put them on the trainer bike for a Zwift ride to benchmark what they should feel like, then pull them and do the ultrasonic.

I want them to look like these ones off ebay. Where you can actually see the metal. I totally get it that I'm investing too much time into a $10 set of used pedals when the latest XT ones are $60 on Jenson ... but I will then be able to commute with these, or leave on the trainer, or sell for $10 ...

Thanks

Ultrasonic cleaner for Shimano pedal bodies (with axles removed)??-s-l1600.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    IMO, there's nothing that the ultrasonic cleaner will do that a small toothbrush and some detergent won't. Hell, if you use mineral spirits, you won't even need to rinse them when you're done.

I went through the trouble of cleaning them with an ultrasonic machine once (suspended with the axle collar above the liquid)...wouldn't bother again, as it didn't do much to them that mild scrubbing wouldn't have done faster.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by stillkeen View Post
    Anyone done this? The alternative seems to be to disassemble the springs/plates and maybe have a tough job getting them back together

Thanks
    Misplaced enthusiasm.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    M friend completely rebuilt a set of 737s so its not impossible. I seem to recall taking the jaws apart on mine too, but it was so long ago I'm not sure. I think if you back off the spring tension all the way then its not bad. These things are built like tanks, I still have my second pair of 737's in service. My first pair that I bought when SPDs first came out had finally worn out and I got these to replace them.