• 07-02-2011
    Petti the Yeti
    Two problems. Rear derailer, rear shock
    Just put together a new-to-me '07 Iron Horse Sunday Team which has had it's fair share of use, and there are a couple of issues with it.

The rear derailer is a SRAM X9 on a 1x9 setup. The chain isn't reaching the two lowest gears, and sticks on the 5th gear going back to the top. I have tried tightening the cable, WD40'ing and relubing the joints of the derailer, and tweaking the shifters a little bit. None of which have helped the problem any. Any ideas?

The shock is a Fox DHX 3.0 that doesnt seem to be holding air for any longer than 5 minutes. It is a coil setup with gas bottom out/pedal bob support, and the coil is only 300#. I'm a borderline clyde at 195-200#, and I have been reading online that someone of my weight should be using closer to 400-500# coils. Would this be a reason that the shock leaks air, if it is constantly depressed by my weight sitting on it? If it is, would the 500#x3" coils work on this bike if the current one is 300#x3.25"?
  • 07-02-2011
    cant fix a flat
    try lossen the cable or turning in the adjuster on the shifter to loose the cable
  • 07-03-2011
    JonathanGennick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Petti the Yeti View Post
    The rear derailer is a SRAM X9 on a 1x9 setup. The chain isn't reaching the two lowest gears, and sticks on the 5th gear going back to the top. I have tried tightening the cable, WD40'ing and relubing the joints of the derailer, and tweaking the shifters a little bit. None of which have helped the problem any. Any ideas?

You say your chain is not reaching the two, lowest gears. I would suspect limit screws, or possibly a misaligned hanger. I'd disconnect the shifter cable and start from zero:

0) I would actually check the hanger alignment, but I'm guessing you don't have the tool for that, so...

1) Loosen the derailleur cable.

2) Check to see whether the derailleur spring returns the chain to the smallest cog. Adjust the H-limit screw as needed to make that happen.

3) Push with my hand to activate the derailleur. Make sure I can push enough to make the chain go onto the large cog, but no further. Adjust the L-limit screw as needed.

4) Click the shifter to release all cable tension.

5) Connect the cable back to the derailleur and continue w/adjustment.

Try the above. Post back w/the results.
  • 07-03-2011
    JonathanGennick
    On the shock, I would take it to a bike shop to get it serviced. Something is wrong if it is losing air in just five minutes.
  • 07-03-2011
    Petti the Yeti
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    You say your chain is not reaching the two, lowest gears. I would suspect limit screws, or possibly a misaligned hanger. I'd disconnect the shifter cable and start from zero:

0) I would actually check the hanger alignment, but I'm guessing you don't have the tool for that, so...

1) Loosen the derailleur cable.

2) Check to see whether the derailleur spring returns the chain to the smallest cog. Adjust the H-limit screw as needed to make that happen.

3) Push with my hand to activate the derailleur. Make sure I can push enough to make the chain go onto the large cog, but no further. Adjust the L-limit screw as needed.

4) Click the shifter to release all cable tension.

5) Connect the cable back to the derailleur and continue w/adjustment.

Try the above. Post back w/the results.

This worked flawlessly! H and L limit screws were the problem. Learn something new every day. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    On the shock, I would take it to a bike shop to get it serviced. Something is wrong if it is losing air in just five minutes.

That is what I was thinking. After riding around the street with it, I noticed a slight gurgling sound coming from the shock on the rebound, so something is definitely no bueno in there. Hell, I might just get a new shock if the LBS says they have to repair it. Thinking of a Fox DHX RC4. Just have to check specs and sizes to see if it will fit.