trail pump - dual-purpose, high pressure (shock/fork) & high volume (for tires)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

trail pump - dual-purpose, high pressure (shock/fork) & high volume (for tires)?

I can't find anything recently posted on this:

is there a decent, lightweight dual-purpose pump for carrying in pack on the trail that will work both for Schraeder valves on shocks/forks and also for Presta on tires?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any shock pump will work for tires, you're just going to spend 30 minutes pumping it up.

The only ones I know of are Buzzy's cross-pollinator (sucks), or one that giant makes, that also sucks, except as a shock pump.

Low volume/high pressure (to the extremes you would need for a tire or a suspension part) is not a switch that can be accomplished well in a small package. Better to pack a small suspension pump (topeak) and a mini pump for the tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

this one?

I see this one made by fivejoy, trail pump - dual-purpose, high pressure (shock/fork) & high volume (for tires)?-81ndnocfzql._sl1500_.jpg

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images...L._SL1500_.jpg

anyone tried it?

Magically Delicious
    In tens of thousands of trail miles, I have never carried a shock pump with me, nor have I ever needed one. I do carry a small tire hand pump.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    In tens of thousands of trail miles, I have never carried a shock pump with me, nor have I ever needed one. I do carry a small tire hand pump.
    This is probably the better advice...suspension is meant to work within a pre-determined range of sag, set it for your weight and don't worry about it. Unless you're planning to gain/lose 20 pounds while out, it isn't going to do much for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    1. Ever had a Float X2 shock loosen its air sleeve (can) and blow all its air out on the trail in the middle of nowhere? I have, and so have others: the only fix is to push and then rotate the sleeve back on and re-pressurize, otherwise it's a long, slow trek back home with little clearance for pedals as the shock is completely retracted.

2. Whenever I get a new shock or fork I fine-tune it on the trail for about a month or so, and I tend to get a new one or the other at least once/year.

3. it has also happened several times that I meet a rider on the trail who needs a fork/shock pump for whatever reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rshalit View Post
    I see this one made by fivejoy, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81nDNOcFzQL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	1852 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	1062783

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images...L._SL1500_.jpg

anyone tried it?

yes, works well for both.

My thought is why NOT have a pump that works for both?
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rshalit View Post
    1. Ever had a Float X2 shock loosen its air sleeve (can) and blow all its air out on the trail in the middle of nowhere? I have, and so have others: the only fix is to push and then rotate the sleeve back on and re-pressurize, otherwise it's a long, slow trek back home with little clearance for pedals as the shock is completely retracted.
    Yes. But I had a shock pump with me! ...only problem, while I was pumping up the shock the hose split and let all the remaining air out. 20 miles to the car and approaching sunset, I used my tire mini pump to put maybe 40 psi in the shock to sort of make the bike rideable.

And no one I came across was carrying a shock pump
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    eggs ackley - might as well get 2 fer 1 if significantly less weight penalty than carrying 2 pumps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Look at the stroke of the pump. Anything even remotely capable of pumping a shock to high pressure will blow (in the worst possible way) for inflating (especially) a high volume tire.

You're welcome to spend your own money to find it out yourself, of course...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    just got mine - here's what I found: on the high pressure setting it works better than the pumps Fox used to ship with all of their forks and shocks, and the pressure gauge seemed approximately correct (with forks and shocks I use sag anyway, not the pump's analogue gauge's inaccurate psi reading). The high volume setting works as well as any trail pump I've used, and I've used many - the switch from Schraeder to Presta fittings is fast, easy and tight, no clamping, etc.; the pressure gauge doesn't register at the 10-13 psi I use in front (on 2.35 x 27.5 mounted on Ibis 741 rims), but before each ride I check pressures with a digital gauge anyway. Anyway...I always hope to not have to use a pump for any reason on the trail, or do any trail wrenching, or hit my head, or dehydrate or defecate, but I like being prepared, and over the many decades I've been glad to have the proper tools along, jus' in case..