Total Air Cartridge Kit Upgrade- Mtbr.com
    vermontbryan
    Oct 2004

Total Air Cartridge Kit Upgrade

I am considering buying a used mid-90’s Rock Shox Judy fork and upgrading it by installing a “Total Air Cartridge Kit”. Has anybody tried this? If so, how difficult is the installation and how well does the upgraded fork work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vermontbryan
    I am considering buying a used mid-90’s Rock Shox Judy fork and upgrading it by installing a “Total Air Cartridge Kit”. Has anybody tried this? If so, how difficult is the installation and how well does the upgraded fork work?
    If you can get them both at screaming deals, I would tell you to go for it. I had a mid-90's Judy DH with the TAC kit and it was a nice ride. However, compared to contemporary suspension forks, they are still quite 'flexy'. Dependent on what the cost of the Judy + TAC kit, I would look for a slightly used Duke. You will get a much better fork in the end.

Hope this helps.

dd..''

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Agreed, I had a Total Air upgrade in my '96 Judy XC. I paid too much for the carts -- $100 versus the $200 I could have invested in a closeout fork -- but they worked great and I rode them for a few seasons before recouping my investment on eBay. Very tunable, but not the most compliant fork setup.

I'm still riding the same Total Air technology in my White Brother's CX-1 fork and am pleased with it, however the White Bros. build is much stiffer than the early Judys.

vermontbryan
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed?e
    Agreed, I had a Total Air upgrade in my '96 Judy XC. I paid too much for the carts -- $100 versus the $200 I could have invested in a closeout fork -- but they worked great and I rode them for a few seasons before recouping my investment on eBay. Very tunable, but not the most compliant fork setup.

I'm still riding the same Total Air technology in my White Brother's CX-1 fork and am pleased with it, however the White Bros. build is much stiffer than the early Judys.
    Thanks. I have a 1994 Klein Rascal with a Manitou 2 fork. The fork is in good shape but I have no more elastomers/wipers for future rebuilds, and I still really enjoy riding the Klein. Having experimented with fork length, anything over 16 inches extended length minus sag and the steering gets too slow and front wheel communication is awful, so newer forks are out. I'm thinking the older Judy with TAC kit is my best option to get a few more good years from the Klein. Did you do the TAC kit installation yourself or have a shop do it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vermontbryan
    Thanks. I have a 1994 Klein Rascal with a Manitou 2 fork. The fork is in good shape but I have no more elastomers/wipers for future rebuilds, and I still really enjoy riding the Klein. Having experimented with fork length, anything over 16 inches extended length minus sag and the steering gets too slow and front wheel communication is awful, so newer forks are out. I'm thinking the older Judy with TAC kit is my best option to get a few more good years from the Klein. Did you do the TAC kit installation yourself or have a shop do it?
    It is really easy. Follow the instructions and you can be riding in minutes.

dd..''

vermontbryan
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dodjy
    It is really easy. Follow the instructions and you can be riding in minutes.

dd..''
    Thanks for your responses. Very helpful.