mtbr member
    Jun 2017

toppeak smartgauge d2 - will tubeless sealant screw it up ????

Just got this little jem, 1st thing I did was take off my talas RLC air cap and try to check it out, wouldn't fit !! The travel adjuster was in the way WTF !!!

2nd thing I did was to do a tire pressure check, Nice worked great, I see why you need one, I was 6 psi off of my old mechanical gauge.

But question is I just went tubeless and I saw some sealant on the gauge after I used it, can't be good.......

mtbr member
    I kept asking myself the same thing but the Gauge is still working

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    I kept asking myself the same thing but the Gauge is still working
    time will tell, I'm sure Topeak will warranty it, right

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How do you know the mechanical gauge was off and not the digital one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Hey that's true, but common core teaches us that 2+2=5 so it must be right, right?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Exactly, this gauge can read all the way to 250 psi. It is very unlikely that the first 10% of the range is perfect. I'd be just as suspect of the Topeak as I would a random mechanical gauge with a range more appropriate for the pressures you are looking at.

However, instead to worrying about it I just use the same gauge for every check/fill that will read in increments I can tolerate. Repeatability and accuracy are two different things. I have an easier time verifying repeatability with home methods than accuracy. As long as it is repeatable then I just adjust until I get the performance I want and use that "pressure" every time. I could be off by 20% for all I know, but as long as I can get back to the place that works for every ride I'm happy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    Exactly, this gauge can read all the way to 250 psi. It is very unlikely that the first 10% of the range is perfect. I'd be just as suspect of the Topeak as I would a random mechanical gauge with a range more appropriate for the pressures you are looking at.

However, instead to worrying about it I just use the same gauge for every check/fill that will read in increments I can tolerate. Repeatability and accuracy are two different things. I have an easier time verifying repeatability with home methods than accuracy. As long as it is repeatable then I just adjust until I get the performance I want and use that "pressure" every time. I could be off by 20% for all I know, but as long as I can get back to the place that works for every ride I'm happy.
    Ok I see your point, thought you were having some fun with me, that is very true point taken

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by soundsailer View Post

But question is I just went tubeless and I saw some sealant on the gauge after I used it, can't be good.......
    it's fine.
    Between my own wheels and the friends I've lent the gauge to, mines been used hundreds of times in the last three years owning it. I actually just last week used some Windex multi-purpose kitchen cleaner on it because it was getting really gross and gunky from sealant.
    Mine's even been in my Camelbak during a ride where I got rained on.

Still works like new. I haven't even changed the battery.

I do agree with some above posters- it seems reliable with repeated readings, but I sometimes question its accuracy on my 3.0 tires at 10 and 12 psi.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    it's fine.
    Between my own wheels and the friends I've lent the gauge to, mines been used hundreds of times in the last three years owning it. I actually just last week used some Windex multi-purpose kitchen cleaner on it because it was getting really gross and gunky from sealant.
    Mine's even been in my Camelbak during a ride where I got rained on.

Still works like new. I haven't even changed the battery.

I do agree with some above posters- it seems reliable with repeated readings, but I sometimes question its accuracy on my 3.0 tires at 10 and 12 psi.
    Good to hear about it holding up over time to sealant exposure.

Yeah I just crossed over to tubeless and I had it down to what I thought was 22psi, giving it the squeeze test seamed right so I was pretty surprised when it read 16psi.