mtbr member

Shimano FC-M760 removal ?'s

I am in the process of Trying to remove my crank set to replace a Stripped out Pedal on the right side crank.I have taken off the pinch bolts holding the crank arm on and that sucker wont budge,tried using a deadblow hammer on it with no luck,do i need some kind of special tool to get it off?Thanks for any help in this matter.Reddawg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Have you looked at the manual??

You have to remove the preload cap and the stopper plate.
    There is a special tool for the cap - its only a couple of bucks but you can probably find something else to work in a pinch.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830608893.pdf

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830638324.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    You are removing your cranks to replace a pedal???

But generally, the instalation instructions/tech docs are where you would look for intal info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    You are removing your cranks to replace a pedal???

But generally, the instalation instructions/tech docs are where you would look for intal info.
    The Crank Arm is stripped where the peddle attaches,so i am replacing the stripped Crank Arm.Thanks for looking

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Your replacing the RIGHT side crank arm? As in the drive side?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Look in the slot on the left crank arm. There's a "safety" that you need to lift before the arm will come off (and you also need to remove the preload cap, of course, it's the black cap that says "SHIMANO" in this photo).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockfinder
    Your replacing the RIGHT side crank arm? As in the drive side?
    That is correct Shockfinder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcp_nz
    Have you looked at the manual??

You have to remove the preload cap and the stopper plate.
    There is a special tool for the cap - its only a couple of bucks but you can probably find something else to work in a pinch.
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FC/EV-FC-M760-2261D_v1_m56577569830608893.pdf[/url]

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830638324.pdf
    Thanks dcp_nz for the link,Thats what i was looking for.Looks like im gonna have to get some tools.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1reddawg
    Looks like im gonna have to get some tools.
    Not really. You could buy the little cheap plastic tool (TL-FC16) for the preload cap but if your lbs doesn't have one or wants more than a couple of bucks for it you can use something else - I think I used a coin one time - it shouldn't be on very tight.
    You only need a small screwdriver for the stopped plate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dcp_nz
    Not really. You could buy the little cheap plastic tool (TL-FC16) for the preload cap but if your lbs doesn't have one or wants more than a couple of bucks for it you can use something else - I think I used a coin one time - it shouldn't be on very tight.
    You only need a small screwdriver for the stopped plate.
    Before I got the tool I used my thumbs...one on either side, Push on the preload cap and try to turn. My LBS reminded me to make sure the pinch bolts were loosened since they kind of trap the cap in place when tightened. The Park BB tool has the preload cap tool on the handle. I'm assuming you are having trouble getting the non-drive side crank off, so you've already gotten the pertinent advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockfinder
    Before I got the tool I used my thumbs...one on either side, Push on the preload cap and try to turn. My LBS reminded me to make sure the pinch bolts were loosened since they kind of trap the cap in place when tightened. The Park BB tool has the preload cap tool on the handle. I'm assuming you are having trouble getting the non-drive side crank off, so you've already gotten the pertinent advice.
    Thats correct Shockfinder,i am having issues with the non drive side,my LBS didnt have the tool,(TL-FC16)so i ordered 1 off flea-bay along with the TL-FC33 adapter installation tool,should be here in a few days,figured i might as well start getting the right tools for the job .Thanks again to ALL who helped with this issue.I will let you know when i get it repaired.Reddawg

Members who have read this thread: 0