Shimano 10 speed chains?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Shimano 10 speed chains?

Hey Guys,
    I have a Shimano 10 speed chain with quick link on my bike currently. Just grabbed a replacement and realized that it doesn't have the quick link...which I like, can I just use the old quick link on the new chain?
    thanks,
    Zach

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yes, you can use the old quick link on the chain, but I would still recommend using a new one. After you take a quick link on/off several times, it won't lock together as well as it originally did. Personally, I would buy a new one, and use the old one as a backup. I always keep one electrical taped to my saddle's rails in case I ever break a chain out on the road or trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    +1 for getting a new link. I butterflied mine the other day and was so happy I had 2 spares in my pack. You can get a sleeve of 6 KMC's on amazon shipped for less that $15. The KMC's are very user friendly and their instructions show them as reusable vs sram's 1 time use link.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Have had a 9sp quick link on my Shimano 10 sp chain for over a year now.(Can't recall if it's an SRAM or KMC).
    Works fine. Had a 10 sp quick link on me at the time I busted the chain in the woods. I was getting DEVOURED by mosquitos for 20 minutes trying to get it to work. The 9 speed link went on in like 15 seconds and has not given me a bit of trouble since. You know which one I keep a couple of in my pack.

Plays with tools
    Do you have a shimano quick link? They made them for the 7900 chains for about 4 months until the realized they were stretching before the rest of the chain and discontinued them in favor of the dedicated pin, which is bomb proof.

Members who have read this thread: 0